Home         Forums  

Go Back   Marrowforums > Bone Marrow Failure Diseases > MDS
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

MDS Myelodysplastic syndromes

Old Thu Feb 9, 2017, 01:25 AM

Is my sinusitis linked with MDS?

I have been suffering from sinusitis for a year now and I'm worried if it has any link with MDS. It seems like my body is against me with running nose for the past three days. I am also having problem with cold and allergy which is worsening the condition. But I recently read in a blog that in certain cases rhinoplasty is recommended for sinusitis patients. Has anyone suffered from sinusitis and taken rhinoplasty procedure? Did it help you with your issues? Please share your thoughts.
Old Thu Feb 9, 2017, 06:55 PM

Hi Onita236 - Have you already been diagnosed with MDS? Sorry if I've missed previous posts from you.

If you have MDS, then my response would be, Yes, there is definitely a vulnerability there for sinusitis and other respiratory problems. I used to get a lot of those, and still succumb sometimes but not nearly as frequently as previously. I personally find that if I avoid dairy products and foods containing added sugar I can largely avoid respiratory problems.
Dx MDS RAEB 10% blasts + hypogammaglobulinemia, Sep 2011. Jan 2012 BMB - blasts down to 2% w/out treatment so BMT cancelled. Re-diagnosis RCMD. Watch and wait from Feb 2012. IVIg 5-weekly. New diagnosis Oct 2019 AML 23% blasts in marrow, 10% blasts in peripheral blood.
Old Fri Feb 10, 2017, 05:51 AM

Hi, regardless of mds you should get a referral to an ent just to have a look up there. You might have polyps or you might just have sinusitis. Either way they will advise you. I personally had really bad sinusitis post transplant. I found masal spray (nasonex) really helpful. I hope you can get a referral easily.
Now 30yr old. Diagnosed AML dec 2015 (Most likely MDS prior). Trisomy 6. Runx1 mutation also. Had induction and consolidation chemo. Marrow failure ++ so SCT on 21st of March with MUD. Married with a 1yr old!