Home         Forums  

Go Back   Marrowforums > Bone Marrow Failure Diseases > AA
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

AA Aplastic anemia

Old Sat Dec 14, 2013, 02:22 PM

High Calcium & High Vitamin A

Hi, wondering if anyone else has experienced high Calcium &/or high Vitamin A levels.

My calcium has been trending on the high end of normal since about 1 year before my MUD transplant last January. Shortly after the transplant it bumped above normal (ranging between 10.3 - 10.8) and now ranges from about 10.1 to 10.8.

I've had several labs to check for thyroid & parathyroid levels (normal). My labs show no calcium in my urine & no other apparent reasons for the high calcium, so one of my physicians told me the only other indicators which may help determine why the calcium is high are Vitamin A & Aluminum. The Vitamin A result was almost 2x normal (the aluminum lab was normal).

-The natural vitamin supplements I've been taking since late spring only have 50% of the recommended daily vitamin A levels (tho I'm still stopping taking these)
-My hematology pharmacist checked all my prescriptions and none affect Vitamin A
-I was told although my ferritin is quite high, this does not impact calcium or vitamin A levels (I am scheduled to start bloodletting to manage the ferritin levels this month )

Just wondering if anyone else has experienced this &/or has any other thoughts on why they're high.

Thank you

PS- I also talked to my pharmacist about my diet & this time of year I do eat winter veggies regularly which tend to be high in vitamin A, but I don't eat large portions of them & although I eat them several times a week, I don't eat them daily.