Home         Forums  

Go Back   Marrowforums > Treatments > Pediatrics
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Pediatrics Treatment for juvenile patients

Old Thu May 17, 2018, 11:01 AM

Unhappy Confused about my sons BM results

Hi, I’m a newbie on here, my 12 year old son has been diagnosed chronic ITP with platelet counts for the last year never going higher than 60 and as low as 34. He recently had a bone marrow biopsy which was hypocellilar and at 30%.
My son is always fighting sore throats and generally has gone from being a normal lad to feeling tired and sometimes struggles to make a full day at school. His consultant feels there maybe some signs of AA going on and has told us he wants to watch and wait.
As a mum I’m so worried that there’s something I should be doing, I hate seeing him so run down and tearful.
Has anyone heard of having AA with only platelets being the problem ( and the low cellularity).
Does ITP cause low cellularity normally, I didn’t think it did but would love some advice.
Old Sun Jun 24, 2018, 01:34 PM

Hi Kerstie12,

Sorry to miss your post. How is your son doing now? Is he still fighting constant infections?

Viruses can cause a decrease in platelets and decrease bone marrow cellularity. Usually the body can recover from this on its own, but if the immune attack gets out of control, aplastic anemia can evolve.

For some people with AA, platelets can also be the first blood line to drop.

Hopefully, your son is regaining his strength now!