Home         Forums  

Go Back   Marrowforums > Bone Marrow Failure Diseases > AA
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

AA Aplastic anemia

Old Mon Aug 13, 2012, 10:59 PM

need advice

Hi,

my name is michelle and i have a lot of questions regarding my father. He was diagnosed 2 weeks ago with Aplastic Anemia. I started researching about his disease and it sounds not good with respect to my understanding. He was only taking vitamines as what the doctors order. I really need advice on what my first step should be in able to help my father. do you have any idea if how much should i need to prepare for aplastic anemia treatment? would my father will be having blood transfusion for life? He is already 70 years old and this thing truely keeps me worried a lot. I love him so much and i cant uderstand why he needs to go through this kind of disease? Hope i could get more specific info regarding this. thanks!
Old Tue Aug 14, 2012, 03:07 PM

You may want to read the article posted by Dena in this thread to help you understand the treatments available.

http://forums.marrowforums.org/showthread.php?t=3081
Marlene, wife to John DX w/SAA April 2002, Stable partial remission; Treated with High Dose Cytoxan, Johns Hopkins, June 2002. Final phlebotomy 11/2016. As of July 2021 HGB 12.0, WBC 4.70/ANC 3.85, Plts 110K.
Old Wed Aug 15, 2012, 10:02 AM

Michelle

I was diagnosed with Severe Aplastic Anemia in March 2012. It is an eye opening diagnosis to say the very least. Does your dad have Moderate or severe AA?

The article posted by Marlene isby two of the wold authorities on Aplastic Anemia. It will give you the typical treatment optionsand give you some encouragement as to outcomes.

Two things that I would do as soon as possible.

1. Go to the AAMDS. org website or call and ask for the information package on AA.

2. If he hasn't already go to a hematologist and preferably go to a center of excellence.

If you would like I would be glad to talk with you or your father.

Scott Davidson