Home         Forums  

Go Back   Marrowforums > Bone Marrow Failure Diseases > Bone Marrow Failure
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Bone Marrow Failure Causes, treatment approaches, terminology, related diseases

Old Wed Oct 21, 2009, 12:37 AM

Reticulocyte Question...please help!

Thanks in advance...

Long story short, over the last 4 months my GP has been checking my CBC levels as I have had mild anemia and low-normal WBC. My HB was always around 116, HCT .340, RBC 3.8, WBC 4.5, Lym# .05-1.0. My numbers 6-8 months ago were HB 150 HCT .440 RBC 5.0 WBC 6.6 LYM 1.5, so all has gone down. She mentioned maybe a viral infection, but changed her mind after it was consistant for months. IRON, B12 and Folic acid are all perfect.

During my most recent test, my doctor checked me for CBC, Muliple Myeloma, Lupus, Retic count, auto immune disorders, etc.

The tests came back good, except my absolute retic count came back as low 15 (reference is 25-85). My GP is concerned as she has thought my problems were due to a bone marrow problem all along. The only confusing thing is, my HB, HCT, RBC & WBC all went higher on this test. HB-140 HCT .412 RBC 4.57 WBC - 5.0. They have all been low for the last three months, but all of a sudden they were more normal but my retic was quite low. Any ideas how this could be...why would my numbers go up like that? And why would my retic be so low if my RBC are in normal range (right at bottom of normal). I was also dehydrated, about 15 hours without fluids for the test, my GP thought that might be the reason for the false RBC. Any ideas...or anybody else have a low retic count and normal RBC.

I am just concerned as I don't want to worry about this being a bone marrow issue, wish it could just be a false test or something. I see a hematologist in Decemeber, but my GP is bumping it up after the retic count as she is concerned it may be serious. I'm hoping to ease my mind or prepare myself before I go. Please...any helpful information is appreciated!

Thanks again!

Adam
Old Wed Oct 21, 2009, 08:21 PM

Hi,

I don't know if this helps or not. The lowest that my Retic counts have been was 6 to my knowledge but my hemoglobin was 73, at that time all my other counts were within the normal range some low and some high.

Right now my Retic is 82, but then my counts are ok, not great but certainly not bad either.

Good luck,

Lynn
Old Wed Oct 21, 2009, 11:38 PM

Wow...I'm sorry to hear your numbers were so low. My hemoglobin is only barely low, but the question is why is my retic count not increasing to regulate RBC production.

What were you diagnosed with?

A 6 retic count does not sound even close to adequate when your HB is normal, let alone in the 70's. Thanks for the reply and I wish you the best of luck in the future!
Old Thu Oct 22, 2009, 03:05 PM

Hi,

I have MDS/MPD althought the MDS is certainly the more serious disease to have of the two.

When I had the very low Retic counts/%, it was when I was classified as having critically low hemoglobin/RBC's and I was receiving blood transfusions.

I have only done a small amount of researh into Retic counts, but it is my understanding that with a higher Retic count is when the body is trying to play catch up and produce more immature RBC's that will hopefully mature into RBC's. Anytime my Retic count has increased it has been after I have had a dip in the Hemoglobin and RBC's, which then also show an improvement.

But I am also on Valproic Acid as a treatment for the MDS (because only my RBC/Hemglobin) is effected at this time. The VPA does kick start the body into producing more RBC's, at least in my case it has worked very well and for a very long time, which isn't the norm.

As a side note, I also get my CBC's done every week, for a while it was only once a month then my bone marrow started to misbehave again. Therefore they started me back on the VPA treatment and weekly CBC's.

Good luck
Old Mon Nov 9, 2009, 11:40 AM

This valproic acid?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Valproic_acid
Old Mon Nov 9, 2009, 01:59 PM

Yes . If you do a search on this forum, it has been discussed and many links have been posted.