Home         Forums  

Go Back   Marrowforums > Bone Marrow Failure Diseases > MDS
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

MDS Myelodysplastic syndromes

Old Wed Mar 24, 2010, 01:14 PM

Menatetrone vitamin shown to be beneficial to MDS patients?

Hi All,

I came across this new info online today, i'm not sure how accurate it is.

http://www.wellsphere.com/healthy-ea...utrophil+Count

If anyone knows anything about menatetrone being beneficial to MDS patients please let me know!

Thanks,

Carolyn
Old Wed Mar 24, 2010, 03:50 PM
Owner

Here is a direct link to the report's abstract.

The sample size in their study was small, which is often the case for MDS studies, but it's promising news, especially since menatetrenone had multiple beneficial effects among these patients (on hemoglobin, platelets, and ANC) and no serious side effects.

Menatetrenone and menaquinone are names for one type of vitamin K, and vitamin K (found in green leafy vegetables) is known to have an effect on blood clotting. It shouldn't be taken with medications that also affect blood clotting, such as warfarin (coumadin). Vitamin K is harmless for most people but anyone receiving other treatments should ask their doctor about vitamins and supplements that they are interested in or that they are already taking.
Old Wed Mar 24, 2010, 03:55 PM

Question Vitamin K2 and MDS apoptosis

Carolyn,

I'd be cautious with that. All the references I can find for K2 and MDS are dated between 1998 and 2000. Nothing newer. Seems to me if it was really beneficial, there would be new or continued abstracts about it.

Also I was at the AA & MDS International Foundation Symposium in Bestheda 2 weeks ago and none of the reseachers there mentioned Vitamin K2

Best to you,

Gene In Virginia
Male age 64 Dx:RA Del(5q-) Intermediate -1. Dx'd 09/2009 Taking Revlimid 10 mg/day since 11/2009 - now tx independent and normal counts. 2nd BMB results from 5/15/2010: 6 of the 20 specimens now show normal cytogenics.
Old Thu May 27, 2010, 04:04 PM

Vitamin K

http://www.nature.com/leu/journal/v1.../2401790a.html

http://www.touchoncology.com/article...ular-carcinoma

http://www.vitaguide.org/vitamin-k.html
Old Thu May 27, 2010, 08:47 PM

Hi, I didn't read the links but just thought I'd throw in something that my doctor told me. When he was giving me my treatment options, I asked him what I could do to help myself. He told me to eat lots of green leafy vegetables because they were known to be beneficial for MDS. Maybe he meant the Vit K.
Xq19.36 mutation
Xq21.40. mutation
1p36. Mutation
15q11.2 deletion
Old Fri May 28, 2010, 12:16 AM

Would think green leafy vegetables are good for everybody. How many leaves can one eat in a day, and in a week? I mean, it is probably harder to get an overload from the veggies than it would be from pure vitamin pills. Besides, the roughage and so forth should be good too!
But me too, years past when I had MCV around 106 after bronchitis and no clue what was going on, first thing they told me was to eat green leafy veggies. Also these veggies are supposed to have folate, methinks, which is also good...
Old Wed Jun 2, 2010, 05:44 AM

VK2 Therapy

I read the links posted in this thread and did some more research on the net. Sounded good, so asked my Dad's doctor if she has heard about the Vitamin K2 therapy for MDS Patients.

She is saying she has heard about it, mainly being used in Japan and it may be worth trying. Considering it is a vitamin, it should not be harmful atleast, right?

So she is going to prescribe it for dad. Keeping figures crossed.

Still praying for our miracle.

Take Care.

Jyotika

Daughter of Ramesh, RAEB I, Dx 2009 July, on supportive care with RBC transfusions 3-4 weeks and platelet transfusion as and when required.
Old Wed Jun 2, 2010, 11:50 AM

Do you know what the dosage will be? And did she also check his Vitamin D levels? Looks like from one of the articles, Vitamin D was used with it. John takes 5000 ius of vitamin D daily. We found his D levels to be below normal. He also takes Vitamin K2. We were not aware of the Vitamin K2 connection to BM cancers though.

That's great to hear you doctor's openness to trying this approach. I hope it helps.

Marlene
Marlene, wife to John DX w/SAA April 2002, Stable partial remission; Treated with High Dose Cytoxan, Johns Hopkins, June 2002. Final phlebotomy 11/2016. As of July 2021 HGB 12.0, WBC 4.70/ANC 3.85, Plts 110K.