Home         Forums  

Go Back   Marrowforums > Bone Marrow Failure Diseases > MDS
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

MDS Myelodysplastic syndromes

Old Sat May 9, 2015, 05:22 PM

Army mechanic dying, need info

My husband is dying from advanced high risk MDS/AML. I need information on chemicals used by army mechanics used during the years 1966 to 1969. He was never in Vietnam but is dying from most of the symptoms of agent orange: heart problems, diabetics, MDS, Leukemia, COPD. When we filed a claim for VA disability, the person who helped us with the form, kept asking us if my husband was sure he never came into contact with agent orange. My husband was at Ft Polk, La, Ft Carson, Co, & Mannheim, Germany. The only thing we can think of is all the chemicals, solvents, cleaners he used for brakes, engine parts, etc. had to be toxic, plus he was never given any type of protective gear.
Any information on any chemicals that you would know of that was used by army mechanics in the years of 1966 to 1969?
Old Sat May 9, 2015, 08:37 PM

This is an interesting article. My father was a mechanic and frequently siphoned petrol tanks by creating suction using his mouth on the hose.

http://www.westyorksfire.gov.uk/uplo...e46339f90.docx

I think it was a widely practised method.
Old Sun May 10, 2015, 06:46 AM

Benzene is known to cause MDS in some. Search the ongoing VA saga for more info.
Ric: Low-risk MDS (blasts <4%); 4 cycles Revlimid no positive response; PRBC transfusion dependent; so far, 392'units' over 8 3/4 years; BMB #4 (15/04/01) shows evolution to AML (blasts 20-30%) 47,XY,del(5) (q22q35),+21[24][cp24]/46,XY(1).
Old Wed May 13, 2015, 04:32 PM

Any doctor worth talking to would tell you that it is much more likely than not that your husband's diseases have been caused by the exposures to fuel and solvents. Have you never noticed on the gas pump the warning not to exposure yourself to the fumes.

Benzene is a DIRECT link to MDS/AML.

Gasoline, diesel, jet and helicopter fuel contain benzene

Almost all solvents and cleaning fluids contain benzene

Where are you located? Perhaps I can recommend a doctor that will write a strong Nexus letter for you. Actually just noticed you are in Green Bay. At Cleveland Clinic contact Mikkael Sekeres sekerem@ccf.org
Old Mon May 25, 2015, 11:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Macfarlane View Post
Any doctor worth talking to would tell you that it is much more likely than not that your husband's diseases have been caused by the exposures to fuel and solvents. Have you never noticed on the gas pump the warning not to exposure yourself to the fumes.

Benzene is a DIRECT link to MDS/AML.

Gasoline, diesel, jet and helicopter fuel contain benzene

Almost all solvents and cleaning fluids contain benzene

Where are you located? Perhaps I can recommend a doctor that will write a strong Nexus letter for you. Actually just noticed you are in Green Bay. At Cleveland Clinic contact Mikkael Sekeres sekerem@ccf.org
Is there proof that AO was mixed with hydrocarbons? The IOM was forgetting that this stuff was also sprayed by hand and on trucks. Was it sprayed by helicopter too? My husband was trained as an airplane mechanic, and he rode on some reconnaissance flights. I don't know a lot of details about his service, but he was in Vietnam 68-69.
Old Mon May 25, 2015, 11:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marykatie View Post
My husband is dying from advanced high risk MDS/AML. I need information on chemicals used by army mechanics used during the years 1966 to 1969. He was never in Vietnam but is dying from most of the symptoms of agent orange: heart problems, diabetics, MDS, Leukemia, COPD. When we filed a claim for VA disability, the person who helped us with the form, kept asking us if my husband was sure he never came into contact with agent orange. My husband was at Ft Polk, La, Ft Carson, Co, & Mannheim, Germany. The only thing we can think of is all the chemicals, solvents, cleaners he used for brakes, engine parts, etc. had to be toxic, plus he was never given any type of protective gear.
Any information on any chemicals that you would know of that was used by army mechanics in the years of 1966 to 1969?
My husband had everything your husband has except for COPD. He was in Vietnam 68-69, and he did some airplane maintenance. I do not know much about the places your husband was stationed though. AO was reportedly mixed with fuel before spraying.
Old Mon May 25, 2015, 05:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdhihwjv View Post
My husband had everything your husband has except for COPD. He was in Vietnam 68-69, and he did some airplane maintenance. I do not know much about the places your husband was stationed though. AO was reportedly mixed with fuel before spraying.
So sorry about your husband, MDS/AML is such a hopeless disease. There is no future for my husband, he just got turned down for a stem cell transplant, due to how bad his blood counts were. I am researching everyday for information on the chemicals & solvents that were used between 1965 & 1970 in army motor pools, that contained benzene. There are articles that point to benzene is one of the known causes of MDS, now I just have to connect the dots. Thank you for responding to my message.
Old Thu Aug 27, 2015, 06:23 PM

New to this thread, but perhaps I can help

MDS is in a class of blood disorders that could be found to be service connected, but it isn't automatically presumptive unless there is exposure to Agent Orange. Benzene exposure is common in motor pools (I was in the 165th transportation in Louisiana, and I lived on Fort Polk. I was also at Ft Ord, BAMC, (my second stint was x-ray), so I got a lot of happy molecules. It's amazing I don't glow in the dark (kidding).
Anyway, my whites are also dropping, so I have an onco appointment in a few weeks. Hopefully mine is not a case of MDS, but all of my numbers are dropping over time. Enough about me.
What I found out is that when there is an adjudication at the VBA, they usually need a letter from a doctor (or two, depending on the type of case), that can state that it is more likely than not that the exposure to benzene caused the MDS (or CLL), or AML--or any other related disorder.
The appeals process can drag on for quite a while, unfortunately, and you have to be your best advocate. If you have all of the facts, you can go to the VBA's website and put in a complete claim. There is a checklist that you should follow, and when you have all of your docs scanned in, you can send them. This is called a Fully Developed Claim (FDC). Visit VBA.VA.gov, to learn more about this feature. http://www.benefits.va.gov/transform...sformation.asp. I hope this helps. I was a work-study student drawing Chapter 35 after my husband died.
And I may become a patient--I hope not, but I think it's in the cards for me, too.
I hope this helps.
Old Tue Sep 15, 2015, 09:27 PM

Just joined Marrow forums

I was an USAF jet engine mechanic 1978 - 2008 (post Vietnam/AO).
I was diagnosed with MDS in Mar 2015 and received a stem cell transplant at a non-VA facility in July 2015.
I am 30% service connected for my back (20%) and Barrett's esophagus (10%).
I have my initial referral appt with the VA Oncology dept Sept 2015.
I have an appt with my local American Legion representative tomorrow afternoon in an effort to understand what I should do in an effort to get my MDS, service connected.
As a jet engine mechanic for 20 years, it isn't going to be a stretch to convince anyone I came in contact with Benzene on a daily basis. I was also stationed at Travis AFB from 79-82 working on the very cargo planes that carried the AO to Vietnam. Additionally (like many bases), Travis AFB has become a EPA Superfund site for the chemicals that were used there. The EPA report identifies the building I worked at which was used to clean engine parts and list the following chemicals "methyl ethyl ketone" "phosphoric acid" "sodium hydroxide" "methylene chloride" "PC 111" potassium hydroxide" "alkaline permanganate" "nitric acid".

Seems like I have a lot of ammunition going in, but after reading what everyone else has gone through I am not feeling too lucky.