Home         Forums  

Go Back   Marrowforums > Practical Issues > Insurance, Finances, Disability, Veterans Benefits
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Insurance, Finances, Disability, Veterans Benefits Your finances, insurance, job issues, and veterans benefits

Old Thu Sep 2, 2010, 06:12 AM

UK based travel insurance

Just an FYI for anyone else in the UK who needs travel insurance - I got quotes from two separate companies for my upcoming 2 week trip to the USA (usually the most expensive destination because of the insane medical care prices).

Columbus Direct - Go through the whole usual quote process until you get to a page where you can click to add on any pre-existing conditions. I searched for MDS, and I had to answer a bunch of questions about when I last had any transfusions, or inpatient stays, last dates of chemo, radiation, etc, and then it amended my quote. Without MDS, my quote was £25, and with the MDS it was £50. I really liked that this can be done entirely online without ringing up at all.

Freedom - If you've got any conditions other than Diabetes, or a few specific cancers or heart conditions, you need to ring them for a quote. When I rang it was a very nice and easy to understand lady who took my details and then I answered a series of questions. They didn't quite know what MDS was (even when I spelled it out), but did have a few tailored questions about my last Hb and white cell counts (but didn't care about my platelets or neutrophils at all). Anyway their quote was over £300 so that was the end of that!

Anyone else have any experiences to share?
36/F - 1984 SAA treated with ATG [complete remission until] Oct 08 - burst blood vessels in eyes and low platelets; Jan 09 - AA & hypo-MDS; July 09 - BMT (RIC MUD PSCT) July 10 - 10k for Anthony Nolan (1yr post BMT! 53:48) Sep 10 - Wedding! I've run 5 marathons now!! (PB 3:30!)
Old Mon Sep 6, 2010, 09:06 PM

Dear S, Don't know a thing about travel insurance but wanted to wish you a beautiful wedding day. Loved your updates on the dress. It looks beautiful.
Happiness to you and wishing you all good things. Sincerely, Rose