Home         Forums  

Go Back   Marrowforums > Treatments > Alternative Treatments
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Alternative Treatments Complementary and alternative medicine; natural and holistic approaches

Old Mon Jun 13, 2016, 08:41 PM

Curcumin and EGCG

Hi,

Has anyone made use of curcumin, a constituent of turmeric, or EGCG, a major constituent of green tea.

Both have many studies showing benefit for cancers and combination with treatments. Among their mechanisms of action are decreasing NF-Kb, a DNA transcription factor known to suppress cancer cell or cancerous stem cell death (apoptosis). Or, in other words, allowing . They both have other mechanisms that benefit health. Curcumin is being combined with cytotoxic therapies because it sensitizes cells to the chemo-drugs or reverses resistance.

They are being looked into for MDS, really for any blood or even solid tumor. Because aberrant inflammatory pathways are so significant in cancers, illnesses in general, and autoimmune problems, these are even being looking into in the world of blood/marrow transplant.

Wondering if anyone has used these and at what doses.
Old Mon Jun 13, 2016, 11:44 PM

With my doctor's permission, i was trying to take the the study doses of curcurmin along with some green tea extract. It was easy enough to get to the study levels of curcurmin, the green tea extract was pretty expensive. I did not notice any negative effects. My MDS stayed steady for about 4 years before I had to have a transplant. I took the curcurmin and green tea extract for several months. There really wasn't any improvement on or off for me. I know that there was a doctor at MSKCC who was doing a study several years ago, but haven't seen anything updated in several years.
MDS RCMD w/grade 2-3 fibrosis. Allo-MUD Feb 26, 2014. Relapsed August 2014. Free and clear of MDS since November 2014 after treatment with Vidaza and Rituxan. Experiencing autoimmune attack on CNS thought to be GVHD, some gut, skin and ocular cGVHD. Neuropathy over 80% of body.
Old Tue Jun 14, 2016, 07:54 PM

Papaya leaf tea and platelet levels...

Recently I've read about Papaya leaf tea and possible positive effects on platelet levels. Has anyone else heard of this? I've tried using this as a replacement for my occasional evening green tea. IMO the taste is the same, but others have found some honey is needed to sweeten it.
Ric: Low-risk MDS (blasts <4%); 4 cycles Revlimid no positive response; PRBC transfusion dependent; so far, 392'units' over 8 3/4 years; BMB #4 (15/04/01) shows evolution to AML (blasts 20-30%) 47,XY,del(5) (q22q35),+21[24][cp24]/46,XY(1).
Old Wed Jun 15, 2016, 01:04 AM

Sufficient Vitamin D is also important for platelets.
Dx MDS RAEB 10% blasts + hypogammaglobulinemia, Sep 2011. Jan 2012 BMB - blasts down to 2% w/out treatment so BMT cancelled. Re-diagnosis RCMD. Watch and wait from Feb 2012. IVIg 5-weekly. New diagnosis Oct 2019 AML 23% blasts in marrow, 10% blasts in peripheral blood.
Old Wed Jun 15, 2016, 04:06 PM

Hi - I believe Dr. Azra Razza at Columbia Presbyterian Hospital in NYC dis some research a while ago using curcurmin with MDS patients - I'm not sure if she is still doing any work with it or how her research went.

I tried using it in a very unscientific way and did not see any improvement with my blood counts - and I never consulted with Dr. Razza, although I thought about it - but you might consider contacting her to see what happened with her research.

http://www.cumc.columbia.edu/hematol...t_us/azra_raza

Good luck.
Paul
Lower risk MDS diagnosed 2012. Recurring skin nodules treated with prednisone, otherwise watch and wait. HG dropped from 11.5 to 8.7. Kept going down to 5. Vidaza didn't work. BMT from MUD on September 10 2015