Home         Forums  

Go Back   Marrowforums > Bone Marrow Failure Diseases > MDS
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

MDS Myelodysplastic syndromes

Old Wed Jul 8, 2009, 07:04 PM

Myelodysplastic Syndrom + Chronic gouty arthritis

Hello,

It is my first time in this forum. I am Spanish, from La Rioja.

My father has a Myelodysplastic Syndrom (in the first degree) and he has also Rheumatoid arthritis (Chondrocalcinosis). He was treated for the arthrhtis with colchicine for three months and the cytopenia (low levels of red blood cells, white blood cells and platelets) he had, went into worse, only in three months. He stopped having colchicine and after 1,5 months the levels are still low.

I would be very grateful if you could tell me if this cytopenia could have gone into worse because of the colchicine or just because of the evolution of the Myelodysplastic Syndrom.

If you need more data, please ask me.

Thank you,

Josh
Old Wed Jul 8, 2009, 07:20 PM
Owner

According to the Mayo Clinic, colchicine can make a low platelet count (thrombocytopenia) worse, and it's also an issue for anyone with a low white blood cell count (neutropenia). They don't say whether the effect is long-lasting or it goes away once you stop taking colchicine, but your father's doctor may be able to tell you more about it.

Since your father's counts are still low, your biggest question may now be what they should do next for your father, whether or not colchicine contributed to the problem.

Are you able to talk to the doctor with your father or on behalf of your father? Since you obviously want to learn more about how to help him, I hope you can talk to the doctor directly and get your questions answered.