Home         Forums  

Go Back   Marrowforums > Practical Issues > Questions and Answers
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Questions and Answers Not sure where to post a question? Post it here.

Old Thu Jul 10, 2008, 12:18 PM

Donate Exjade?

Sadly, my husband, David died last week. I have a very large quantity of Exjade tablets--unopened bottles of 500 MG and 125 MG that he didn't use, with expiration dates of 2009 and 2010. Is there a place I can donate them for someone who maybe doesn't have the means to pay for it?

Please advise.
Judy Podell
Old Thu Jul 10, 2008, 01:18 PM

Hello Judy,

I am so sorry to hear that your husband died. We will keep you in our thoughts and prayers.

And how thoughtful of you to donate your extra Exjade. I too have an unopened bottle that needs a home. I have, in the past, been able to give John's procrit to a local free clinic. They accept meds and any medical equipment in good shape.

Another organization I've used was Crosslink International. They've taken walkers, crutches, hickman supplies etc. They too have taken meds that have not been opened and that are in the original packaging. You may want to look them up.

I know others have given their extra meds to other patients who have financial difficulties. This option should be done offline and independent of the forum. Our doctor's office used to hook up patients but because of insurance liability issues, no longer provides that service. But the doctor's office may have a list of charities. Ours collected a list and provides it to patients if asked.

Take care,
Marlene
Marlene, wife to John DX w/SAA April 2002, Stable partial remission; Treated with High Dose Cytoxan, Johns Hopkins, June 2002. Final phlebotomy 11/2016. As of July 2021 HGB 12.0, WBC 4.70/ANC 3.85, Plts 110K.
Old Thu Jul 10, 2008, 01:42 PM

Hi Judy,

Sorry to hear about your husband.

There is a 5 year girl in India, Sanyukta, her mother posts on Aplastic Central. She has iron overload for sure, but I'm not sure if she uses Exjade or Desferal. I'll contact her mother right away (we've been in touch), and let you know. If it works out, you can mail the pills to me here in US, and I'll sent them to India.

Sandra
Old Sat Jul 12, 2008, 08:39 AM

Hi Judy,

I contacted her, but she told me that it just got approved in India as well (2 mo ago). Thank you for your offer.

Sandra
Old Sun Jul 13, 2008, 10:56 PM
Administrator

Dear Judy,

On behalf of Marrowforums, I want to offer condolences on the loss of your husband, David. Everyone here can understand something about the struggle with MDS that you both experienced. It's very kind of you to offer to donate David's unused medication at such a difficult time in your life. Thank you for sharing here at Marrowforums.

Sincerely,
Ruth Cuadra