Home         Forums  

Go Back   Marrowforums > Bone Marrow Failure Diseases > MDS
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

MDS Myelodysplastic syndromes

Old Mon Feb 1, 2010, 05:57 PM

Mouth Sores

Don is bothered at irregular intervals with canker sores. He uses a prescription mouth wash. Some of them are so bad, it is painful to eat. He does use "Kanka" prior to eating. Doctors and dentist have no suggestions. Does anyone else have this problem and a solution? We have not figured out what triggers them.

Thanks for any insight.
Old Mon Feb 1, 2010, 07:24 PM

I had terrible canker sores while on cyclosporine, so bad at one point my jaw didn't close together properly. They took a month to heal. I tried amosan mouthwash that didn't work at all. Oracort helped - it is cortisone for oral use. I needed a prescription for it from the dr.
Old Tue Feb 2, 2010, 08:20 PM

Thanks. I've made a note of med.
Old Tue Feb 2, 2010, 11:52 PM

I've lived with canker sores for the last 4 yrs. I have them really bad about 2 weeks out of every month. I've been on Acyclovir, a daily anti viral medicine for the last 1 1/2 years. I am on cyclosporin for life and dont' know if it is from that or low white counts. Mine have been around 2000 for the last few yrs. The Acyclovir has helped, now I have 2 good weeks each month. I always feel bad complaining about a canker sores, but when you have them so often it gets frustrating. Hang in there.
Old Fri Feb 5, 2010, 09:19 PM

i've always been prescribed "magic mouthwash" which may be what you were referring to. my mix typically includes: Diphenhydramine, Lidocaine, and Maalox. sometimes it's had Sucralfate. it helps me alot and makes eating easier...but i can't taste anything really with it. it really helps before i go to bed, when i'm sitting there and they bother me the most.