Home         Forums  

Go Back   Marrowforums > Treatments > Drugs and Drug Treatments
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Drugs and Drug Treatments ATG, Cyclosporine, Revlimid, Vidaza, Dacogen, ...

Old Fri Sep 14, 2007, 12:51 PM

Question Did cyclosporine cause my lymphoma?

I was diagnosed with AA (actually Amegakaryocytic Thrombocytopenia Purpura) in March '06 (age 49) and had ATG in July '06 followed by cyclosporine for almost a year. I was doing ok till June 07 (platelets in the 50s, > WBC and RBC near the bottom of normal range, altho often needing procrit shots for low hemaglobin) - but then this June 07 found enlarged lymph nodes in my groin. This turned out to be diffuse large B cell lymphoma, for which I am now getting chemo (at NYPresbyterian-Cornell,) which is a big challenge given my low counts. The 2nd round of chemo was delayed by 6 days, and the dosage was reduced. In between chemo treatments I have to be supported with whole blood and platelets transfusions.
A few doctors think the lymphoma was caused by the cyclosporine. At least one doctor though thinks the lymphoma was there before the aplastic anemia.
Is there anyone out there who has been through chemo for cancer with aplastic anemia (or any other bone marrow failure disorder?) Any help or insight would be appreciated.

Thanks. I'm so glad to have a forum where I can connect to others who have these rare issues.
Old Sun Sep 16, 2007, 12:10 AM

Did Cancer cause my Lymphoma?

Gail Anne, I am sorry that this has happened to you. How frustrated you must feel about it. I can't really help you here much, but I do remember my Dr. telling me that if I take ATG, I would have 30% chance of getting some kind of cancer. He was not specific on what type of cancer though. So maybe it isn't from the Cylclosporine, but the ATG, or something else. I hope things start getting better for you! You will be in my thoughts.

Connie
Old Wed Sep 19, 2007, 04:07 AM

What is ALG??

Thanks for your words of support Connie. It is frustrating knowing that even after the lymphoma is cured I may be back to square one on the AA. Your signature says you had ALG treatment. I'm not sure what that is. Could you explain? Looking for all options.....

Gail Anne
Old Mon Sep 24, 2007, 12:36 AM

alg

Gail Anne, ALG is Antilymphocyteglobulin. I think. It has been a long time. Anyone can correct me if they wish. But to the best of my limited knowledge, it is rabbit serum, as ATG is horse serum. My second try of ATG, I had an allergic reaction to the horse ATG, so we used the rabbit, ALG. I hope this helps. The treatment is pretty much the same as with the horse.
Am I understanding right that you are once again looking for treatment options for AA?
Connie