Home         Forums  

Go Back   Marrowforums > Practical Issues > Questions and Answers
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Questions and Answers Not sure where to post a question? Post it here.

Old Thu Jun 21, 2007, 09:11 PM

Question Mom with MDS has shingles, eye infection and infected toe

My Mom has had MDS for over 3 years, last Jan. she came down with the shingles after 8 weeks she was back to where she was before she got them.
She went through 2 months of vidaza treatment on the last day of treatment the shingles were back. She had them in her eye and now has an infection in her eye that has been really hard to clear up along with a bone infection in her toe.
I am looking for anyone with information on MDS and infections. Also she will have to have the toe taken off, has anyone gone through an operation with MDS?
Need help
Kathy
Old Fri Jun 22, 2007, 01:53 PM

Hi Kathy,

I really cannot suggest anything since John's shingles did not spread to his eyes. That is rough. He was on Valtrex for them and they did clear up. He was also on Nupogen at the time but I don't think it helped since it did not prevent them. The only thing I can even think of is to add a really good B complex for them. They say the amino acid lysine is good for shingles also. Is the toe infection from the shingles also?

John has had surgery but he was in partial remission and not on any meds except Exjade. He needed platelets transfused before surgery and then red cells afterwards. Of course he was put on an antibiotic. He needed to have his quad tendon reattached to his knee cap. He tore it in a fall. But this does not even come close to getting an infected toe removed.

Wishing you the best,
Marlene
Marlene, wife to John DX w/SAA April 2002, Stable partial remission; Treated with High Dose Cytoxan, Johns Hopkins, June 2002. Final phlebotomy 11/2016. As of July 2021 HGB 12.0, WBC 4.70/ANC 3.85, Plts 110K.