Home         Forums  

Go Back   Marrowforums > Treatments > Transfusions and Iron Overload
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Transfusions and Iron Overload Blood and platelet transfusions, iron testing and treatments

Old Sat Apr 14, 2012, 08:26 AM

Wheatgrass side effects?

Hi all

I have started a wheatgrass regime, 400 mg freeze dried capsules/3xday (thanks Alice!) and have noticed that since I started, I am having GI issues again, mainly severe gassiness/consitipation....has anyone noticed this effect or is it just coincidental? I had waited until all was well with my system before I started and the last week or so has been rough.
I don't want to stop the wheatgrass to find out but I am really uncomfortable. Wondering if there is conncection or anyone else has any suggestions....thanks!
Cheri Age 54; dx Oct 2009 AML, induction chemo only;dx MDS July 2010,- PRBC transfusion dependent; Results BMB 8/4/11--- 6-8% blasts; Danazol 100 mg 3xday; quit Exjade/ GI distress; platelets holding 40's; Fluctuation in blasts in blood--Neupogen 3-4xweek; off Revlimid again! Procrit weekly
Old Sat Apr 14, 2012, 11:47 AM

I have not used wheat grass, but I understand that is a side effect.
Dallas, Texas - Age 81 - Pure Red Cell Aplasia began March 2005 - Tried IVIG - Then cyclosporine and prednisone. Then Danazol, was added. Then only Danazol . HG reached 16.3 March 2015. Taken off all meds. Facebook PRCA group https://www.facebook.com/groups/PureRedCellAplasia/
Old Sat Apr 14, 2012, 09:22 PM

GI Issues

Hi, Cheri -

John had always had GI issues, but we didn't notice any increase (or decrease) in them when he started taking the wheatgrass. Hope it works out for you.

Alice
Old Sun Apr 15, 2012, 09:13 AM

The exjade messed with John's GI track and it took a long time for it to settle down. It's never returned to his "old normal" schedule.

You may want to back off to one/day and work back up slowly to 3/day. Another thing to try is to stop all sugars for a while.
Marlene, wife to John DX w/SAA April 2002, Stable partial remission; Treated with High Dose Cytoxan, Johns Hopkins, June 2002. Final phlebotomy 11/2016. As of July 2021 HGB 12.0, WBC 4.70/ANC 3.85, Plts 110K.
Old Fri Apr 27, 2012, 05:00 AM

How are you feeling?

Hi Cheri,
We have not heard anything from you the latest weeks. How are you?
Kind regards
Birgitta-A
Old Fri Apr 27, 2012, 10:30 PM

Hello All
I read about the wheatgrass in the posts - but since I am so new here - and new to this disease - can you tell me what it is supposed to accomplish? I tried 'Googling' it - and didn't come up with any correlation.

As far as the constipation is concerned - increase your water intake - and I stress water - because anythin else has something in it that needs digested. Of course - fiber is good as well - or if it gets REAL bad - get a bottle of Magnesium Citrate - and I guarantee you that you will 'get cleaned out' - kind of like before a colonoscopy.

I hope you feel better soon.

Beth
Old Sat Apr 28, 2012, 05:00 AM

Wheatgrass juice

Hi Beth,
Wheatgrass is supposed to be a chelating drug. You wrote that Earl is getting a chelating drug in connection with txs. Is it Desferal?
http://www.asco.org/ascov2/Meetings/...stractID=33788
Kind regards
Birgitta-A