Home         Forums  

Go Back   Marrowforums > Bone Marrow Failure Diseases > AA
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

AA Aplastic anemia

Old Sun Sep 30, 2012, 08:47 AM

child custody and AA

(question removed by poster)

Last edited by hannah6860 : Thu Mar 21, 2013 at 05:50 PM.
Old Sun Sep 30, 2012, 12:26 PM

Hannah;
Each state has it's own version of a CYS - Children and Youth Services. For starters, I suggest you check with them, and see what their regulations say. Then, I would talk to your sister's primary Dr.'s and have them write a letter stating that her condition in no way warrants loss of custody - if that is appropriate in her current condition. Of course, an attorney who specializes in child custody cases should also be consulted, and have all of your 'ducks in a row' so to speak before her husband has any chance to blur the issue. I am no legal expert for sure - but with them living with you, and you providing a safe environment - I think a lot is in her favor. I wish you much luck.

Beth
Old Sun Sep 30, 2012, 03:38 PM
Owner

hannah6860,

I'm not sure how things work in the U.K. but I think you would be wise to have evidence that her daughter has the day-to-day care and support she needs. Being sick doesn't automatically make you incapable of parenting, but if that's going to be the accusation then she may need to show that she (perhaps with the help of others like you) is fully providing for her daughter, as Beth says.
Old Sun Sep 30, 2012, 06:05 PM

As a Child Protection Services worker, the bottom line is always in the 'best interest of the child'. That said, if the child is not neglected or abused and her needs of food, housing, schooling, health and emotional care are being met.. I could see no reason why a judge would see any benefit in removing a child from her primary parent. Removal is always the very last recourse, after supports and interventions are first put in place. (counseling, day care, cleaning aid, home health nurses, etc. Custody battles rarely if ever benefit the child
f68 MDS; abmt 1/12. ABO mismatch 11 mos. (70) transf. Ferr 3-5k. 8 phlebot. AGVHD to CGVHD. skin,eyes. lungs as of 10/13. muscle weakness &osteo long term steroids.photopheresis 2x wk as of 3-15.pred 20 eod,acyclovir, mepron, voriconazole, pantropazole, lisinopril, montelukast, anoro, azithromycin.
Old Mon Oct 1, 2012, 08:26 AM

custody

I am from the UK, and (if you haven't already), I suggest you seek advice from your local CAB or Law Centre ASAP. If your sister's solicitor is not being helpful then perhaps she could find another one? It may be worth contacting Women's Aid and asking if they have a list of good solicitors - although it is not a case of physical abuse, it may fall under the category of emotional abuse (and it would certainly help her case if your sister could prove that her ex has bullied her in the past)

Social Services are supposed to put the child's needs first, and they will look at issues like housing (how much space there is in your house etc) and whether the child can attend the same school as she did before. The fact that you are there to take care of your sister should go in her favour. Her ex sounds like a horrible man, and if it is looking like he is going to win the case, I would as a last resort contact the press. Local papers would certainly be interested, and the Telegraph has in the past run campaigns for parents fighting SS. The Daily a**wipe (sorry, Mail!!) would probably run the story too.

Good luck x