Home         Forums  

Go Back   Marrowforums > Bone Marrow Failure Diseases > MDS
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

MDS Myelodysplastic syndromes

Old Tue May 22, 2018, 07:35 PM

Surgery with low Platelets

So Hockey strikes again ... my husband tore his rotator cuff badly. He did it about 14 years ago on the same shoulder... a complete tear.. but it healed on it's own with Physio.

This time, I think he's going to push for the surgery but I'm wondering.. will they even do surgery if your platelets are 44-60?
Husband (61) dx RAEB1 Apr 2015 after long term bad CBCs (first discovered Apr 2008 after an unknown infection had him hospitalized), currently on watch & wait with monthly bloodwork. Myeloid Gene Panel testing done Aug 2017, showed nothing worrisome. CEBPA mutation
Old Tue May 22, 2018, 08:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bossywife View Post
So Hockey strikes again ... my husband tore his rotator cuff badly. He did it about 14 years ago on the same shoulder... a complete tear.. but it healed on it's own with Physio.

This time, I think he's going to push for the surgery but I'm wondering.. will they even do surgery if your platelets are 44-60?
I am not a doctor -- that is the person to turn to with questions about surgery with low platelets and your husband. However, platelets below 50 and a contact sport such as ice hockey where bleeding is quite common do not seem the best mix.
Old Tue May 22, 2018, 08:51 PM

We were told they will do surgery with platelets at 50,000. If he's a little low they could give him some platelets to boost them for the surgery.
All the best,
Sally
Old Wed May 23, 2018, 01:12 AM

I had oral surgery prior to transplant. They wanted me to be at 75,000. I was at 25,000 and received about 5 platelet transfusions to make it happen. I think the short answer is that yes, surgery can be done but extra caution is probably in order.
MDS RCMD w/grade 2-3 fibrosis. Allo-MUD Feb 26, 2014. Relapsed August 2014. Free and clear of MDS since November 2014 after treatment with Vidaza and Rituxan. Experiencing autoimmune attack on CNS thought to be GVHD, some gut, skin and ocular cGVHD. Neuropathy over 80% of body.
Old Wed May 23, 2018, 02:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanL View Post
I had oral surgery prior to transplant. They wanted me to be at 75,000. I was at 25,000 and received about 5 platelet transfusions to make it happen. I think the short answer is that yes, surgery can be done but extra caution is probably in order.
Certainly, you know your situation, which is interesting. However, wouldn't the surgeon with direct knowledge of this specific case be the opinion that matters?
Old Wed May 23, 2018, 06:40 PM
Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pearl View Post
Certainly, you know your situation, which is interesting. However, wouldn't the surgeon with direct knowledge of this specific case be the opinion that matters?
Surgeons may not be familiar with the specifics of bone marrow failure diseases, making it hard for them to judge the risk, take necessary precautions, or be prepared in case of an emergency.

It's very individual. Some happen to know enough to deal with it, some just need a little information from you the patient, and some may want to consult with your hematologist.

After consulting with a surgeon, some patients schedule procedures shortly after a transfusion, like filling up the gas tank before a driving trip. And some put off surgery if they can avoid or delay it.
Old Sun Dec 16, 2018, 07:32 AM

My father had splenectomy with platelet morr than 50000 and had two hip replacements with 70000. Before surgery he took several platelet transfusion becayse he had 10000-20000 platelet number originally.
2009 august diagnosed MDS or AA, cyclosporine began,ALG (rabbit) treatment 2009 december, After 2010 April cortizone began, platelet transfusion free for 3 months. 2011-2013 Hip replacements with low platelet. 2018 splenectomy.