Home         Forums  

Go Back   Marrowforums > Practical Issues > General Health Issues
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

General Health Issues Diet and appetite, sleep and fatigue, pain management, exercise, etc.

Old Wed Nov 3, 2010, 05:26 AM

Question A question for the ladies...

Hello. Julie here again and still struggling with low platelets. Last count 26 (but it's holding there so that is ok I guess).

Having "monthly" issues. Well, actually it is more of a continual saga, not just each month. I had one of my ovaries taken out at the end of last year because of endometriosis. Won't bore you with all the details but I am now a bit concerned about bleeding between periods. Not too much, but enough to frighten me.

I went to my GP who gave me a thrush treatment to try, but it doesn't seem like thrush to me. Anyone else had issues like this with low platelets?

It makes me feel kinda fragile... especially knowing that bleeding could get quite serious if I'm not on top of it (if you know what I mean). I am going to make another appointment with my GP and push for further testing. Continual discharge isn't something I should be trying to live with.

Thanks for any thoughts...
Julie (38yrs); dx AA 1996 & treated w/ATG, cyclosporine & G-CSF; 2010 dx int-1 secondary MDS, low platelets, on prevention antibiotics, fevers of unknown origin, MUD found for BMT when the time is right, which is now! MDS transformed to AML after many infections.
Old Fri Nov 12, 2010, 08:44 AM

Hi Julie,

Has your gynecologist talked with you about endometrial ablation? Although you're young, that might be a possible solution for 'monthly female' issues. I'd be happy to share what I've learned if you'd like to email me.

best wishes,

Gloria
Old Mon Nov 15, 2010, 10:08 AM

Female monthly issues!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Julianna View Post
Hello. Julie here again and still struggling with low platelets. Last count 26 (but it's holding there so that is ok I guess).

Having "monthly" issues. Well, actually it is more of a continual saga, not just each month. I had one of my ovaries taken out at the end of last year because of endometriosis. Won't bore you with all the details but I am now a bit concerned about bleeding between periods. Not too much, but enough to frighten me.

I went to my GP who gave me a thrush treatment to try, but it doesn't seem like thrush to me. Anyone else had issues like this with low platelets?

It makes me feel kinda fragile... especially knowing that bleeding could get quite serious if I'm not on top of it (if you know what I mean). I am going to make another appointment with my GP and push for further testing. Continual discharge isn't something I should be trying to live with.

Thanks for any thoughts...
Hi. I have AA; my platelets hover around 27,000 and never rose beyond 30 since my ATG treatment back in February 10. I've had female issues right from the start. Would be happy to share what my gyno and hematologist suggested, and what's been happening since. Contact me at new email address the2leftys@gmail.com.; good luck, Susan
Old Tue Nov 16, 2010, 04:23 AM

Thank you ladies.

Hope my post wasn't to personal for everyone. But it is an issue that I'm sure quite a few ladies would like to understand more about. Especially with platelets like ours! I seem to be a bit better at the moment. But am being a bit more careful with heavy lifting and physical activites since this has started being a problem lately.

I have to wait for my Gyno appointment, so for now I need to just pray and wait. And hope for the best. Take care, my friends. xx Julie
Julie (38yrs); dx AA 1996 & treated w/ATG, cyclosporine & G-CSF; 2010 dx int-1 secondary MDS, low platelets, on prevention antibiotics, fevers of unknown origin, MUD found for BMT when the time is right, which is now! MDS transformed to AML after many infections.