Home         Forums  

Go Back   Marrowforums > Treatments > Transplants
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Transplants Bone marrow and stem cell transplantation

Old Sat Oct 22, 2011, 06:31 PM

Question Transplant time frame

I went to Dana Farber in Boston for a 2nd opinion of my diagnosis and treatment. I was able to meet with Dr. David Steensma and he agreed with my dr. from North Shore LIJ, Long Island, NY diagnosis and treatment (Vidaza) and need for a transplant. I then met with a transplant Dr. Dr.Cutler who informed me that at Dana Farber, you are released from the hospital the day after the transplant! and length of total stay is usually 8 days. You then must live close to the area for 100 days, for follow up out patient treatment, coming to the cancer center. After that I could return to NY, for futher follow up with my local drs.

North Shore LIJ hospital,in NY where I am also considering the transplant, has said its usually 4 weeks in the hospital. Which I thought was usual.

Has anyone heard of such a short time in hospital, with a release the day after transplant? The dr. claims they have the highest success rate in the US and a high proportion of MDS transplants.

Now I have a lot to think about.

thanks,
Donna'
f68 MDS; abmt 1/12. ABO mismatch 11 mos. (70) transf. Ferr 3-5k. 8 phlebot. AGVHD to CGVHD. skin,eyes. lungs as of 10/13. muscle weakness &osteo long term steroids.photopheresis 2x wk as of 3-15.pred 20 eod,acyclovir, mepron, voriconazole, pantropazole, lisinopril, montelukast, anoro, azithromycin.
Old Sun Oct 23, 2011, 09:28 AM

Johns Hopkins in Baltimore, Maryland does outpatient transplants. Patients are required to stay nearby for 60 days afterwards. Immediately following the transplant, you spend daily time in IPOP (in-patient/out-patient). The visits gradually become less frequent until you're released. If the need arises you are readmitted as an inpatient. The philosophy is that there are fewer germs outside the hospital, plus patients heal faster as outpatients because they move around more and generally have a better mental outlook.
Karen, age 62, dx MDS RAEB-2 1/8/10: pancytopenia WBC 2.7k/Hgb 7.4/Hct 22.1/Plt 19k; complex cytogenetics -3,del(5)(q14q33),-6,+8,+mar,17% blasts. MUD BMT Johns Hopkins 11/30/10. Dx tongue cancer 8/31/12. ok now. blog mausmarrow.com
Old Sun Oct 23, 2011, 08:47 PM

OMG, I had no idea. Outpatient. What do they have you do when you go to IPOP, and how long are you there? Are you exposed to others? Do you have a caretaker drive you back and forth? Should you expect to go in patient at some point when recooperating at home or a nearby rental apartment? If so do you end up on the transplant floor, or a regular bed on a generic floor of the hospital? (I'm becoming a germophobic-Howard Hughes-like).

Dana Farber impressed upon the importance of their procedures for a donor match, and impact of outcome of the transplant. I got the impression they look into antigens? and classifications more deeply than the usual hospital. Did you get that impression from John Hopkins?
f68 MDS; abmt 1/12. ABO mismatch 11 mos. (70) transf. Ferr 3-5k. 8 phlebot. AGVHD to CGVHD. skin,eyes. lungs as of 10/13. muscle weakness &osteo long term steroids.photopheresis 2x wk as of 3-15.pred 20 eod,acyclovir, mepron, voriconazole, pantropazole, lisinopril, montelukast, anoro, azithromycin.
Old Sun Oct 23, 2011, 10:28 PM

You should have a caregiver with you 24 hours a day the first 60 days. I stayed in housing across the street and either walked or took the shuttle every day. Stays were 2-5 hours. Patients are in curtained cubicles and wear masks. You get bloodwork, iv meds, whatever is needed.

Johns Hopkins is doing trials with half matches and cytoxan. Check out their website.
Karen, age 62, dx MDS RAEB-2 1/8/10: pancytopenia WBC 2.7k/Hgb 7.4/Hct 22.1/Plt 19k; complex cytogenetics -3,del(5)(q14q33),-6,+8,+mar,17% blasts. MUD BMT Johns Hopkins 11/30/10. Dx tongue cancer 8/31/12. ok now. blog mausmarrow.com

Last edited by mausmish : Mon Oct 24, 2011 at 07:16 AM.
Old Mon Oct 24, 2011, 06:51 AM

Interesting that this IPOP stuff is becoming more common. When I had my transplant at Kings two years ago, it was only the low-risk patients who stayed outside the hospital (in hospital accommodation, though) - mostly those who were getting their own stem cells.

I would've LOVED to have eaten my own food and been in a flat instead of the transplant ward! But then again, sitting in outpatients for long periods wouldn't have been much fun, either, nor would the super early-morning or late-night IV drips (with those I'm thankful I could just go back to sleep!).
36/F - 1984 SAA treated with ATG [complete remission until] Oct 08 - burst blood vessels in eyes and low platelets; Jan 09 - AA & hypo-MDS; July 09 - BMT (RIC MUD PSCT) July 10 - 10k for Anthony Nolan (1yr post BMT! 53:48) Sep 10 - Wedding! I've run 5 marathons now!! (PB 3:30!)