Home         Forums  

Go Back   Marrowforums > Treatments > Alternative Treatments
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Alternative Treatments Complementary and alternative medicine; natural and holistic approaches

Old Thu Jan 13, 2011, 04:54 PM

Nutrition Advice From the China Study

interesting reading, the book is ok, presents evidence of what is recommended which is a diet with no animal protein affects cancer rates.

NY times article link

http://well.blogs.nytimes.com/2011/0...ina-study/?hpw
Old Tue Jan 25, 2011, 10:56 PM

thank Tom

yes, I agree its a fantastic book (even though I fell asleep reading it a few times). What if it were true? That being completely vegan could heal us all? The Gerson Institute believes it, so does Dr. Esselstyn at the Cleveland Clinic...now if we could just convince every American hahaha. I have cut out dairy, but when I went vegan I became deficient in B12, so started eating eggs a few times a week. Now, I may be vegan once or twice a week, but I definately eat more fruits and veggies than I ever have. Have you tried? I could share recipes with you via email if you'd like, there are some keepers for sure...best of luck to you, Linda
Linda, 47 yo, married, mother of a teen, moderate AA w/ TERC mutation (2007 NIH), Pulmonary Fibrosis 2010, was on Danazol study (Aug 2011-2013 & restarted 9/14/15), last transfusion May 2011. On Promacta now. Needing a double lung and stem cell transplant.
Old Wed Jan 26, 2011, 01:40 AM

Hi,

It seems there's all different advice out there. When I first got sick I was a (strict) vegan, I was advised by my GP, a physician and 2 different haematologists that I needed to eat meat, dairy and eggs.

My B12 was low, my iron was low, my protein and albumin levels were low too. I thought I was being healthy and saving animals from being slaughtered and abused but all the time I was malnourished.

I still don't like eating meat much but am quite okay with dairy and eggs as long as I am satisfied that it's from well looked after animals.

By the way my current haematologist is vegan and he looks very young for his age and I've only ever known him to have one cold. (yeah, it was man flu and he looked and acted miserable).

Take care.
Xq19.36 mutation
Xq21.40. mutation
1p36. Mutation
15q11.2 deletion
Old Wed Jan 26, 2011, 08:08 AM

I think each person's dietary needs are different and what works for one does not always work for another. Our diet was pretty clean and contained very little meat in it when John came down with SAA. We found that by adding in more animal protein, he healed better and gained more strength. But not all meat products, or vegetables/grains are created equal and more emphasis needs to placed on the quality of food we put into our bodies. Most of the animal we eat are fed an unnatural diet in addition to hormones, antibiotic and environmental toxins. Hence, the meat we eat is not same meat our ancestors ate. The same is true for fruits and vegetables.

We have more environmental challenges than ever before and in my opinion, play a big role in why there is so much more chronic diseases these days. Poor dietary habits, poor quality whole food and processed foods just make things worse.
Marlene, wife to John DX w/SAA April 2002, Stable partial remission; Treated with High Dose Cytoxan, Johns Hopkins, June 2002. Final phlebotomy 11/2016. As of July 2021 HGB 12.0, WBC 4.70/ANC 3.85, Plts 110K.
Old Sun Sep 11, 2011, 07:34 PM

amen Marla!

I wholeheartedly agree ). I love watching Food documentaries on Netflix, mixed with comedies cause boy does it po me off. Hugs, Linda
Linda, 47 yo, married, mother of a teen, moderate AA w/ TERC mutation (2007 NIH), Pulmonary Fibrosis 2010, was on Danazol study (Aug 2011-2013 & restarted 9/14/15), last transfusion May 2011. On Promacta now. Needing a double lung and stem cell transplant.