Home         Forums  

Go Back   Marrowforums > Practical Issues > Insurance, Finances, Disability, Veterans Benefits
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Insurance, Finances, Disability, Veterans Benefits Your finances, insurance, job issues, and veterans benefits

Old Thu Dec 2, 2010, 06:14 PM

Cobra ran out, Now What?

Help!
I just got word that my Cobra extension is over as of Dec 31 and I have 63 days to find new insurance.....
What do I do? Will my current provider continue? How do I find another?
I'm currently being treated for MDS with oh so expensive Vidaza and supporting transfusions, etc......
I'm so overwhelmed! Does anyone have any suggestions?
Thanks much....
Cheri Age 54; dx Oct 2009 AML, induction chemo only;dx MDS July 2010,- PRBC transfusion dependent; Results BMB 8/4/11--- 6-8% blasts; Danazol 100 mg 3xday; quit Exjade/ GI distress; platelets holding 40's; Fluctuation in blasts in blood--Neupogen 3-4xweek; off Revlimid again! Procrit weekly
Old Fri Dec 3, 2010, 08:19 AM

I believe the law requires your current insurance company to allow to continue with them under an individual policy. I'm sure it will cost much more so now is the time to check with your state to see if you can buy into a state health insurance plan.

If you can find a good insurance Broker, they be able to assist you in finding a plan that is better suited to your circumstances.

Depending on your income, medicaid may be an option.
Marlene, wife to John DX w/SAA April 2002, Stable partial remission; Treated with High Dose Cytoxan, Johns Hopkins, June 2002. Final phlebotomy 11/2016. As of July 2021 HGB 12.0, WBC 4.70/ANC 3.85, Plts 110K.
Old Fri Dec 3, 2010, 03:29 PM

Cheri,

I think Marlene is right that you'll need to move quickly to try to find an alternative. This webpage from the NJ Dept of Banking & Insurance has links to a couple or three plans for folks with pre-existing conditions who are having trouble getting coverage.

http://www.state.nj.us/dobi/division...seh/index.html

Good luck!

Greg
Greg, 59, dx MDS RCMD Int-1 03/10, 8+ & Dup1(q21q31). NIH Campath 11/2010. Non-responder. Tiny telomeres. TERT mutation. Danazol at NIH 12/11. TX independent 7/12. Pancreatitis 4/15. 15% blasts 4/16. DX RAEB-2. Beginning Vidaza to prep for MUD STC. Check out my blog at www.greghankins.com
Old Sat Dec 4, 2010, 12:23 PM

Thanks for that info...
I will approach my insurance co first, as they have been stellar so far...(Amerihealth)...don't know if state insurance accepts pre-existing conditions....but I appreciate that link.
I'll keep you posted!
Cheri Age 54; dx Oct 2009 AML, induction chemo only;dx MDS July 2010,- PRBC transfusion dependent; Results BMB 8/4/11--- 6-8% blasts; Danazol 100 mg 3xday; quit Exjade/ GI distress; platelets holding 40's; Fluctuation in blasts in blood--Neupogen 3-4xweek; off Revlimid again! Procrit weekly
Old Thu Dec 30, 2010, 06:24 PM

most states have an insurance plan under HIPAA that can be continued if you have been on COBRA and prior to that a group plan for at least 12 consecutive months if you are unable to find private insurance. I would search under HIPAA and your state to find out what the program is. This is not medicaid and is fairly expensive, but so is any insurance policy once you are in need of benefits.
MDS RCMD w/grade 2-3 fibrosis. Allo-MUD Feb 26, 2014. Relapsed August 2014. Free and clear of MDS since November 2014 after treatment with Vidaza and Rituxan. Experiencing autoimmune attack on CNS thought to be GVHD, some gut, skin and ocular cGVHD. Neuropathy over 80% of body.
Old Wed Jan 5, 2011, 09:47 PM

My Christmas Miracle!
I got a phone call a few days before the holiday....
My former employer generously offered to extend my Cobra, albeit at $300 more per month, which is still about $250 less than what it would have cost for me to continue as an independent individual!
I had no idea it was up to the employer...as my initial rate of $125 was at an Obama program from July 2009....at any rate, I am grateful to keep with my current plan and happy that my insurance will be continued! I dodged another bullet!
FYI-State of NJ only offers insurance to those that have been without ANY insurance for the past 6 months....tough to make sense of it all...
Old Wed Apr 27, 2011, 11:58 AM

You may also check to see if there are short term health plans if the deadline is approaching more quickly than you had hoped. With the new health care reform law, in 2014 insurance companies won't be able to deny you based on a preexisting condition. I would also look into Medicaid and other government health programs or assistance.

Last edited by CindyW : Tue May 3, 2011 at 06:13 PM.