Home         Forums  

Go Back   Marrowforums > Bone Marrow Failure Diseases > MDS
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

MDS Myelodysplastic syndromes

Old Thu Oct 25, 2012, 08:00 PM

Antibiotics and onset of MDS

When I was diagnosed with Diverticulitis in May (pre MDS diagnosis) I was prescribed 2000 mg Metronidazole/day plus 200 mg Cipro/day. I have been doing some research and learned that Metronidazole and Cirpro can cause bone marrow depression/aplasia. Sometimes the symptoms reverse when the meds are stopped and sometimes they do not. I am wondering if anybody knows anything about the connection between antibiotics and bone marrow aplasia?
DX MDS RA Low Risk August 2012. DX Changed to MDS RAEB1. Progressed to AML July 2013. Participated in clinical chemo trial CPX351 and relapsed four months later in March 2014. Maintenance chemo -VIDAZA (AZA) stopped after 4 rounds. Awaiting full report from BMB.
Old Thu Oct 25, 2012, 11:10 PM

Just anecdotal, but after 2 years of antibiotics for a bone infection (many different kinds), my husband developed MDS. First the hematologist just thought the antibiotics had suppressed his neutrophils, then other lines were affected.
Catherine, wife of Bruce age 75; diagnosed 6/10/11 with macrocytic anemia, neutropenia and mild thrombocytopenia; BMB suggesting emerging MDS. Copper deficient. Currently receiving procrit and neuopogen injections weekly, B12 dermal cream and injections, Transfusions ~ 5 weeks.
Old Fri Oct 26, 2012, 12:19 AM

Oddly enough I first developed anaemia after a long course of both IV and oral antibiotics for severe pneumonia. The antibiotics were given over about three months and I had Amoxil then Augmentin, then Ceftazadine, then Benzylpenicillan then Cipro, Doxycycline, Dicloxicillan and lastly metronidazole for the antibiotic induced diarrhea.

I have always assumed the pneumonia was my first symptom/sign that something was wrong but maybe it was the antibiotics causing the ensuing anaemia and neutropenia.

I will probably never know.

Regards

Chirley
Xq19.36 mutation
Xq21.40. mutation
1p36. Mutation
15q11.2 deletion
Old Fri Oct 26, 2012, 12:41 AM

Yes, the doctors really don't really seem to care about the cause, because it's all about moving forward with treatment once it shows up. For a while, we also suspected heavy metal poisoning because Bruce was also exposed to benzene and to pesticides.
Catherine, wife of Bruce age 75; diagnosed 6/10/11 with macrocytic anemia, neutropenia and mild thrombocytopenia; BMB suggesting emerging MDS. Copper deficient. Currently receiving procrit and neuopogen injections weekly, B12 dermal cream and injections, Transfusions ~ 5 weeks.
Old Fri Aug 8, 2014, 11:45 AM

I have some anecdotal experience to relate as well

The person was on a heavy dose of ß-lactam antibiotics for 60 days. Following this, the blood counts became very low and eventually was diagnosed with AML - acute myeloid leukemia.