Home         Forums  

Go Back   Marrowforums > Community > Tell Your Story
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Tell Your Story Say hello or share your experiences

Old Tue Jun 19, 2012, 06:39 PM

I want to have a baby

My name is Caitlin I have been in remission for about four years and would really like to have a baby. I was diagnosed in 2006 while I was pregnant with my daughter. When I was two months I started becoming real tired, bleeding gums, bruising all over and I could here my heart beat at night while I was trying to sleep. My doctors said it was all normal but I knew it could not be when I started waking up to blood clots the size of a quarter in my mouth my pillows would have blood stains. I could not make it the mail box with out feeling like I was going to black out, but they insisted I was fine. Until I was about 30 weeks and went in for my glucose test the nurse said she could not believe I was even able to stand she said I had no iron. I was sent to a hematologist where he said my hemoglobin was at 4.0 and my platelet count was 17. I was admitted for transfusions and sent home after a few days on bed rest.I was going in every week for transfusions for three weeks then my doctor called and said I should be induced. My daughter was born healthy 5lbs but stayed in the hospital for 10 days until she would feed. So I was getting transfusions about every three or four days for a few weeks they thought I would get better once she was born. When nothing was changing they decided to do the ATG horse serum I took the cyclosporine for about six months and was doing great my doctor took me off and with in three weeks every thing was dropping. So we did round two with the rabbit serum I was on that for a little over a year. I came of in 2008 and have been doing great. My husband and I would love to have another child and you can't find much information about being in remission and becoming pregnant. So I found this website during my search and thought maybe someone on here has or knows some one who has had a baby after treatment. I know that my health is important for myself and my daughter and would never want to go through all that again or put my family through it. Just looking for some input form people who would know first hand. Thank you for taking the time to read my story.

Last edited by cbravato : Tue Jun 19, 2012 at 08:45 PM.
Old Fri Jun 22, 2012, 12:49 PM
Owner

Hi Caitlin.

I've heard doctors struggle with questions from their patients about pregnancy. They often consider it a risk to the mother's health but know that some women are willing to accept the risks. The statistics are sparse so it's a very individual decision, both medically and personally.

Here are some related forum threads:
Old Thu Nov 29, 2012, 07:30 PM

Thank you for the information I am now five weeks pregnant and hoping for the best I will post what ever info I can about my pregnancy on here because I know how hard it is to find anything on the internet. So I hope my journey will help others out there. I would be lying if I did not say I am worried but I really want another baby and the only way to find out if I can is to try. I'v been in remission for almost five years with no complications so help I am healthy and strong
Old Fri Nov 30, 2012, 12:10 AM
Owner

This is wonderful news, Caitlin. It sounds like you're off to a great start!

Please keep us posted.
Old Fri Nov 30, 2012, 06:37 AM

Caitlin;
Congratulations to both you and your husband. May God bless you both and your baby on the way.
Remember - you literally are eating for two now - and iron is important for both of you. Eat lots of dark greens to help keep your iron up, but also, you do not want the iron to constipate you, so make sure you have a good fluid intake. Of course, your pre-natal vitamins are VERY important as well. Right now - a good balanced diet is a step in the right direction. You might want to grab a few protein bars as well, since they can also be good for the roughage and help in regular bowel movements.
Take care, and make sure you let us know how things are going.

Beth
Old Mon Dec 10, 2012, 06:59 PM

Well thank you for the word of encouragement. I have my first doctors app tomorrow I plan to have my CBC checked every appointment so I will keep you updated
Old Thu Jan 10, 2013, 05:36 PM

Well I am 11 weeks and 3 days just went to my second appointment all my blood work came back good all levels are stable. They will continue to do a CBC check at each visit. Felling good in staying in good spirits I will update after my next appointment
Old Fri Jan 11, 2013, 01:14 PM
Owner

Caitlin,

Just the kind of news we like to hear!
Old Wed Mar 6, 2013, 04:09 PM

Well I am 20 weeks and going strong. We fond out we will be having a baby girl!
I met with the hematology doctor today and there was a slight decline in my hemoglobin I am at 11.3 I was at 12.1 last time and it seems my red blood cells are getting larger in size. He is going to run a few more test check my folic acid and B-12 level so I will know more about them this week. He said all in all it looks good and I will continue to have a cbc check each month. Half way there
Old Thu Mar 7, 2013, 08:37 PM

Congratulations Caitlin. Best of luck with the second half of your pregnancy.
Sandi, partner of Paul 62, diagnosed MDS Intermediate 2; July 2012. Pancytopenia, Cytogenetics -7 +8 Chromosomes. Low Blast cell count. Currently on EPO & G-CSF and having great response. MUD found will be admitted to Royal Perth Hospital 27 March 2013 to start SCT process.
Old Tue May 14, 2013, 12:13 PM

Well I am almost at 30 weeks and every thing has been great my Hemoglobin is at 10.2 I am taking iron along with my prenatal vitamins and feel great. only 10 weeks left hope every thing stays as it has been My hematologic said we will see if we are in the clear after the delivery. I just have to say that I am happy that I made the decision to have another baby with a lot of praying and research I had a good feeling that my body could handle this. I hope that they continue to do study's on pregnancy and aplastic anemia because I am sure there are plenty of women out there who are looking for answers.
Old Tue May 14, 2013, 10:04 PM

Congratulations.. not long now. Best of luck you breeze through the next 10 weeks.
Old Wed Nov 20, 2013, 01:13 PM

It has been a while

Well I had my daughter July 18th every thing went great my counts went down a little after delivery but nothing that required transfusions. She is four months old and keeping me very busy my heath has been great. I am glad we took the leap of faith to have her . I hope my story can help someone else out there.
Old Wed Nov 20, 2013, 04:26 PM

Congratulations...!!!

Miracles do come true...!
Married, father of three daughters; now 46; diagnosed w/ Major form MDS 6/18/2013; had low counts across the board; Multiple chromosome abnormalities; Finished 2nd round Dacogen 9/13; SCT - Oct. 31, 2013; Sibling match 10/10 ; 5.5% blasts down to 3%, now 1% (post BMT)
Old Wed Nov 20, 2013, 06:53 PM
Owner

Hooray for Caitlin! We're always worried about losing forum members to bone marrow failure and this wonderful news is such a contrast. Becoming a mom is a fantastic reward for all that you've been through.

Your baby girl is special not only because every new baby is a wonderful gift, but because you once thought it wouldn't be possible to have her. She and you are winners in every sense!
Old Thu Nov 21, 2013, 05:59 PM

While I was being treated for SAA I became friends with a woman who was in remission. Her AA was induced by her pregnancy, she did carry the baby to term and then was treated with ATG and went into remission. She was told not to get pregnant again. Two years later she wanted to have another baby and got pregnant...the AA returned. She again had ATG and did not respond to it, she ended up having a BMT. I would be very careful.
45 year old female. Diagnosed with SAA in 1998 at 31 years of age. ATG x2. Eprex. 200 Hgb/platelet transfusions over 14month treatment. Currently still on low dose Cyclosporine/Vasotec/Dapsone. Doing very well.