Home         Forums  

Go Back   Marrowforums > Practical Issues > Questions and Answers
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Questions and Answers Not sure where to post a question? Post it here.

Old Fri Mar 2, 2012, 08:31 PM

Blood test results

Hi, I was just wondering how everyone gets their blood test results.

I'm not having regular tests now but even when I was having them weekly (or daily) I have trouble getting the results.

If I ring the GPs office I just get told I have to make an appointment to see him to get results and if I ring the hematologists office I get told they'll ring me back. Sometimes they do, sometimes they don't. I had arranged for the pathology company to provide the results but it takes a month to get results so that's a complete waste of time.

Any suggestions?

Regards
Xq19.36 mutation
Xq21.40. mutation
1p36. Mutation
15q11.2 deletion
Old Sat Mar 3, 2012, 11:28 AM

Blood Test Results

Don't you just hate that: "Come in so we can discuss the results" response? I always see the dollar signs . . . nothing about getting results requires an office visit, but you don't get that fee if you do it over the phone or by computer.

While I do believe that some of this is fee-driven, I also think there are probably privacy and time and accuracy issues. Our onc/heme's office has the lab right there and we can sit and wait on the CBC results . . . about 10 minutes . . . other tests take longer. But the person performing the draw is the one handing us the result print-out. No question of identity (privacy), no one has to take the time to look up and print out and call (time), and because it is the computer print-out, there is no chance of someone reading the wrong number over the phone (accuracy).

Most everything is computerized these days . . . I know that many offices will give their patients a link specifically to their test results . . . that way the patient has access as soon as the results are posted. Patient controls privacy (don't give anyone else your link), takes no time on the part of the doctor's office (report is in the computer regardless), and the computer assures accuracy.

I also like email with those offices that offer it . . . I have a contact with someone in that office: I send an email requesting test results so there is a written request. My contact has the message on the computer (and can get to it is his/her convenience), which is where the results are likely stored, and can send results with just the click of a button. Very little time compared to doing it all by phone: original call, leave message, contact listens but doesn't have time right then, forgets to go back later, you call again, contact listens and goes to look up and print out report . . . I'm sure you recognize that routine.

I get that there are probably instances where the doctor would prefer to go over lab results personally with a patient rather than having that patient freak out over results they don't understand . . . but that's the exception. And probably anyone dealing with any of the blood issues has a better understanding of the results than some medical professionals.
hubby 73, dx NHL 2001, CNS involvement. SCT (auto) 5/08 [dx UTUC renal pelvis, 2010/surgeries/MMC], MANY recurrences, chemos, surgeries, rad. dx t-MDS 3/11: IPSS 1.5 (Int-2); MDA 11, RCMD trilineage, inc. Fe, ring sideroblasts, 7q del/mono 7 (51.5%), 46,XY,t(6,17)(p22;q25)[4]/45,XY,-7[4]/46,XY[12].
Old Sat Mar 3, 2012, 12:21 PM

Test results

Hi Chirley,
I call a nurse at the outpatient ward 3 hours after the tests are taken and get the results. Then my doctor sends me a letter with the results and eventually new prescriptions.

Most patients at the hematology department are older and not as interested in their counts as I am so they are satified with the letter.

They are trying to use the possibility to let patients be able to read their own report at the net but not yet solved all problems with that.
Kind regards
Birgitta-A
Old Sat Mar 3, 2012, 06:33 PM

Hi, I need to be clearer about my problem

If I go to the treatment centre, I have blood taken by the nurse and the nurse gives me results within 10 minutes. They have their own laboratory on site.

Now that I'm not having treatment I needed to have a blood test through my GP with copies of these test results to be sent to the hematologists office as well. These test results should be available the next day. My GP tells me I can ring for them but when I do I am always met by an obstructive medical receptionist who tells me I have to make an appointment to get the results. Usually, I have to argue my way through the protocol and can get to speak to the GP. Unfortunately, my GP has now reduced his working hours and only works a few days a week and takes a lot of time off. I never know if he is available or not. He has had health issues himself with prostate cancer, diabetes and a heart attack. His disabled daughter also passed awayunexpectedly and he was justifiably devastated and has had a lot of leave since then.

If he orders a test and then has leave, I can't get the results until he comes back to work. The clinic has a policy that only the doctor who orders the test can give results out. I have been seeing Alex as my GP for 12 years since my previous GP was banned from practicing for having an affair with a patient.

I don't want to change GPs or clinics but I can't see any way around this. My copper results from last week will be there waiting for me but because Alex is on leave I can't get the results. I know my hematologist office will have them but he won't let the receptionist give results either. He insists that he rviews them and speaks to you about them. I respect his policy but he works at 4different hospitals and 3 different treatment centers. This is one BUSY man so I feel as if I'm being a bother and it can take a long time to get results as
well.

I just wish they had the system they seem to have in the US where you can email the doctor for the results or even better, you get an ID number and can access your results directly from the lab computer.

Regards
Xq19.36 mutation
Xq21.40. mutation
1p36. Mutation
15q11.2 deletion
Old Sat Mar 3, 2012, 07:04 PM

We went so often, I made friends with the lab technician. I made small talk, bought her chocolate, and soon after asked if she would fax me the results. She did! It was very helpful, and I told her so.