Home         Forums  

Go Back   Marrowforums > Treatments > Drugs and Drug Treatments
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Drugs and Drug Treatments ATG, Cyclosporine, Revlimid, Vidaza, Dacogen, ...

Old Fri Aug 8, 2008, 02:25 PM

Exclamation Side Effects of Revlimid

I am 74 and fairly new to MDS. Procrit did not work and I am now two transfusions down (plus two years ago). Doctor suggesting Revlimid. Is it not a form of chemo? What hapens to my healty white cells and platelets. I told him NO but he wants me to get a second opinion. Can anyone offer some info.
Thanks. Gaygee
Old Sat Aug 9, 2008, 05:48 AM

Revlimid

Hi Gaygee,
The results of treatment with Revlimid (lenalidomide) are positive for many MDS patients especially for patients with the chromosome aberration 5q deletion. Here is a link about treatment results: Lenalidomide: a brief review of its therapeutic potential in myelodysplastic syndromes.

It is common with adverse reactions like low red and white blood cells and low platelets initially: Understanding Side Effects.

Kind regards
Birgitta-A
69 yo, dx MDS interm-1 May 2006, transfusion dependent, Desferal for iron overload, Neupogen for low white blood cells.
Old Sat Aug 9, 2008, 03:48 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaygee View Post
Doctor suggesting Revlimid. Is it not a form of chemo? What hapens to my healty white cells and platelets.
Hi, Gaygee.

Yes, in fact, Revlimid (and the other drugs for treating MDS such as Vidaza and Dacogen) are a form of chemotherapy. Most of us think of "chemotherapy" as it is portrayed in the movies and on TV where the patient is in the hospital, hooked up to numerous machines, and receiving drugs through a constant drip. This is still true for some diseases and with some drugs, but with MDS we are very fortunate now to have drugs like Revlimid that can be taken on an out-patient basis. You may experience the same kinds of side effects with Revlimid (e.g., low blood counts, nausea, fatigue) as you would from an in-hospital chemo because the drug is doing the same kind of work. It is killing off bad cells in an attempt to let healthy cells re-grow. But in this process healthy cells are killed as well, which is what makes you feel worse before you get better.

Anyone who is dealing with a serious disease like MDS should consider getting a second--or even a third--opinion about their diagnosis and possible treatment options. I give your doctor credit for encouraging you to consult with another doctor to validate the treatment that he is recommending.

Regards,
Ruth Cuadra