Home         Forums  

Go Back   Marrowforums > Bone Marrow Failure Diseases > AA
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

AA Aplastic anemia

Old Thu Feb 2, 2012, 05:07 PM

exercise

Hey, I was just wondering if any of you have some good ideas for exercise that are not too exhausting! Since I have started relapsing, I have been doing less and less to keep my body moving. I don't know how much exercise I can do, my hematocrit runs around 28, and I do get tired. But sometimes I think I am just unmotivated. I've put on a few pounds and its so depressing. I know in the grand scheme of things I should be content with just being stable, but I have to admit I wish I could lose a few pounds. I always feel better mentally after exercise too, so I probably should just give it a try and see what happens? Any ideas or inspiration would be helpful!! Thanks.
Old Thu Feb 2, 2012, 06:46 PM

Walk as much as you can

After making sure whatever you eventually plan to do is ok with your doc, then I suggest just plain old walking. Get an iPod or something and some earplugs or headset, and go walking for a while on a flat surface (avoid concrete if you can). Listen to music or to an audio book.

Build up gradually, no more than 10% added each week in total mileage. Seems like only a little but you'd be surprised. If you add mileage in a week, reduce your mileage the next week, then increase again if you are up to it (alternate hard work with light work).

When my hemoglobin was in the low 8's, I could walk up to 4 miles, but that was exhausting, so I did less, even though it as hard to go out the door! In the 9's, six miles was easy. YMMV !!

If you're on Cyclosporine, watch out for sun exposure. Walk early or late in the day if you can.
Male, 56, dx Nov2006 VSAA (BMA:0%). Responded to ATG/CsA/Prednisone/Neupogen Dec 2006, but relapsed in June 2007. Counts are responding to using CsA 200mg bid alone since Jun 2008. Last PRBC tx: Jul 2008.
Old Thu Feb 2, 2012, 08:20 PM

Walking is best. If you want to use some weight training, you might investigate kettle bells. You can get them as small as 5 pounds. You can get a book to show you how to do various exercise, or you can be a cheapskate like me and use You Tube.
Dallas, Texas - Age 81 - Pure Red Cell Aplasia began March 2005 - Tried IVIG - Then cyclosporine and prednisone. Then Danazol, was added. Then only Danazol . HG reached 16.3 March 2015. Taken off all meds. Facebook PRCA group https://www.facebook.com/groups/PureRedCellAplasia/
Old Fri Feb 3, 2012, 07:42 AM

We too like walking but it is harder to motivate yourself in the winter months so you may not get out as much as you'd like. Qi Gong is also a very gentle way to get moving and is intending to get the energy flowing in your body and can help energize you.

Another possibility is to look into a Rebounder. It's basically a mini trampoline you can use indoors. It is also a gentle way to get some exercise. It will help stimulate your lymphatic system.
Marlene, wife to John DX w/SAA April 2002, Stable partial remission; Treated with High Dose Cytoxan, Johns Hopkins, June 2002. Final phlebotomy 11/2016. As of July 2021 HGB 12.0, WBC 4.70/ANC 3.85, Plts 110K.