Home         Forums  

Go Back   Marrowforums > Bone Marrow Failure Diseases > MDS
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

MDS Myelodysplastic syndromes

Old Wed Mar 3, 2010, 05:34 AM

low lymphocytes

Hi,

I was reading on the internet that they do BMT for low lymphocytes. I was wondering if anyone knows the significance of lymphocytopenia. All the talk is about low neutrophils but not much about lymphocytes. Do people with AA have low lymphocytes too? What about people with MDS?

It seems lymphocytopenia is the main problem in people with HIV and therefore I assume it's a potentially life threatening condition to have severe lymphocytopenia but not a a lot is mentioned about it on this site.

I'm neutropenic and lymphocytopenic and although there is neupogen available for the neutrophils, does anyone know if there is anything available for the lymphocytes or even if it's necessary to have treatment for lymphocytopenia.

My total WCC at the moment is 0.9 that includes neuts, lymphs,basophils etc etc. I have to admit to getting a little worried. The doctor had a chat with me yesterday about some things that could happen and that the outcome "might not be positive" to put it in his words.

I feel like I don''t know what I don't know and therefore don't know which questions to ask.

Anyone who has any information about the TOTAL WCC please let me know what they have experienced and what treatment they have been offered.

Thanks
Xq19.36 mutation
Xq21.40. mutation
1p36. Mutation
15q11.2 deletion
Old Wed Mar 3, 2010, 01:12 PM

Lymphopenia in MDS patients

Hi Chirley,
You know there are many abstracts about lymphopenia in MDS patients in PubMed but they are difficult to understand because there are so many types of lymphocytes. As far as I understand lymphopenia is common and there is no other treatment than immuneglobulin when the patient has an infection.

My B-Lymphocyte count has been about 1.0 (ref value1.0-4.0)
Kind regards
Birgitta-A
Old Thu Mar 4, 2010, 12:05 AM

Hey Chirley,

Having a history of AA, I have always had low lymphocytes, and with my recent Rituximab treatment they will be totally wiped-out on purpose... and my Doc said that I just need to watch out for the nasty viral infections. She said that having neutropenia was more of a concern.

But don't know if that was just her opinion or....

I guess the neutrophils fight the bad bacterial infections? But not sure how the lymhocytes do their job. Like to know more myself.

Hope you find some info.
Take care,
Julie
Julie (38yrs); dx AA 1996 & treated w/ATG, cyclosporine & G-CSF; 2010 dx int-1 secondary MDS, low platelets, on prevention antibiotics, fevers of unknown origin, MUD found for BMT when the time is right, which is now! MDS transformed to AML after many infections.