Home         Forums  

Go Back   Marrowforums > Treatments > Transfusions and Iron Overload
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Transfusions and Iron Overload Blood and platelet transfusions, iron testing and treatments

Old Thu Aug 28, 2008, 09:00 PM

Lightbulb caution with acute blood loss

I found out the hard way--I had some dysfunctional uterine bleeding (wouldn't stop, very heavy) and became short of breath. My gynecologist recommeded I go to the local emergency room as I was out of town on a trip. There my hemoglobin came back as 9.6--just a little lower than my previous 10.1, not transfusion time. They gave me saline, did an exam for problems, and finding none, discharged me. When I got home I was still extrememely short of breath--cooking pancakes and loading the dishwasher wiped me out for the rest of the day. I called my hematologist's office to let them know what happened. They had me go get my H&H checked that day--my hemoglobin was actually 7.3! I had lost about 3.5 grams of hemoglobin. The initial Hgb was "contracted" in my body's attempt to compensate, but as I was hydrated, the true hgb was reflected. It didn't make since for me to be short of breath at 9.6--because it wasn't a "real" number. I hope this helps someone else. By the way, as a preventative due to my history & family history, I am scheduled for a hysterectomy later this month. I have my three sons, and my hands are joyfully full!
Old Fri Aug 29, 2008, 10:37 AM

Thanks for sharing your experience. I would like understand this better just in case . I'm not sure I really understand what "contracted" HGB is. Were you dehydrated and therefore had a false reading? Were your HCT and RWD elevated?

I know that a rapid blood loss will impact you more than a slow blood loss. If your red cell decline slowly, your body has time adjust to it better until gets really low. But if it's rapid, then it's very noticable because your body responds to the threat.

Thanks,
Marlene
Marlene, wife to John DX w/SAA April 2002, Stable partial remission; Treated with High Dose Cytoxan, Johns Hopkins, June 2002. Final phlebotomy 11/2016. As of July 2021 HGB 12.0, WBC 4.70/ANC 3.85, Plts 110K.
Old Fri Aug 29, 2008, 05:44 PM

Caution withacute blood loss

I was interested to read your comments. David has had a sudden drop in Hb every month recently. Some could be explained by infection but most are a mystery to the docs. He has been tested for bleeding and scanned with no answer. He dropped from 9.5 to 8 in three days last week and he kept saying he felt "strange". Yesterday he used the same words and sure enough he was dropping suddenly. It makes it very hard to organise transfusions but I suppose we should be grateful that they are available. The haematologist thought there may be low grade haemolysis but it is a worry, ot should I say, another worry.

Best wishes to everyone

Helen
Old Sat Sep 6, 2008, 11:05 PM

"contracted"

"Contracted" usually means dehydrated--remembering that your body can compensate and not show all the signs of dehydration. Blood vessels can constricted, heart rate can increase to allow "normal" functions. I was loosing blood quickly (and more of it) as compared to a normal menstrual cycle so I did lose blood volume and compensated for a few days. Dehydration does give a false reading of how much hemoglobin is available to carry oxygen. In the absence of bleeding, I have no idea how this might apply to a man. I wish you the best.