Home         Forums  

Go Back   Marrowforums > Treatments > Transplants
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Transplants Bone marrow and stem cell transplantation

Old Fri Oct 6, 2006, 12:22 PM
Administrator

Eight Years Since BMT

Dear Friends,

Today I celebrate the 8th anniversary of my matched unrelated donor bone marrow transplant for MDS/RA. With the exception of muscle cramps and dry eyes resulting from mild chronic GVH, I am in excellent health.

Since 2004 I've been serving on the Executive Board of the Aplastic Anemia & MDS International Foundation, helping to develop and expand their services, increase awareness, and gather support for research into bone marrow failure diseases.

Recently, as you probably know, I've been part of the development and launch of Marrowforums (with my husband, Neil, and AA-MDS-TALK founder, Vince Wessling) to give patients and their families, friends, and caregivers a place to discuss the issues they face and share their experiences. It's exciting to see people begin using this new forum site to ask and answer questions and support those in need of understanding and encouragement.

Years ago, my donor was asked why she donated marrow to a stranger. She said "It was the right thing to do. If people like me don't help people like Ruth, who's going to do it?" I feel the same way about helping those who are struggling as I once struggled: if people like me don't help, who's going to do it?

Regards,
Ruth

Last edited by Neil Cuadra : Sun Nov 18, 2018 at 12:45 AM.
Old Fri Oct 6, 2006, 06:38 PM

Ruth,

Congratulations!! Times passes so quickly. I recall meeting you and Neil at a Conference just before your transplant. I saw you two again in Nashville. Your work and support are very much appreciated by all of us. I'm so glad you are doing well.

Warmly,

Susan Todd
AA/PNH