Home         Forums  

Go Back   Marrowforums > Treatments > Transplants
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Transplants Bone marrow and stem cell transplantation

Old Thu Sep 18, 2014, 05:16 PM

Haploidentical Transplant

Hello has anyone heard of a haploidentical transplant in the treatment of aplastic anemia, in which the donor is a related sibling, parent, or child that matches at half of the HLA markers?
Old Thu Sep 18, 2014, 06:53 PM
Owner

There's a discussion of haplo transplants in the Transplant center with best outcome against GVHD thread.

There's also an older thread named Success in half match transplants.

A few family members of forum members have had haploidentical transplants.
Old Sat Sep 20, 2014, 09:50 PM

Yes. I have heard of Haplo transplants. When my son was in the hospital getting his ATG, a patient down the hall explained that he had a Haplo transplant. This gentleman did not have a 10/10 match so they used his daughter for the donor.

NIH is doing Haplo/cord transplants and having excellent results. Dr Rick Childs is the physician in charge of this Clinical trail. Dr Margolis ( a transplant physician in WI, on the board of the AA MDS Foundation and the physician who lead the discussion on transplants for AA at the March 2014 Symposium for experts in the filed of AA ) highly recommends a Haplo/cord if one does not have a 10/10 match. My understanding is they are having much better results that a straight Haplo.
Statically, the best success is seen is a sib match, then 10/10 match, right behind a 10/10 is the Haplo/cord.

You can see a Youtube video in which Dr Margolis and Dr Childs discuss this Clinical Trail. Please watch. I think you will be amazed at the positive results discussed regarding Haplo/cord transplants.

Hope this helps.