Home         Forums  

Go Back   Marrowforums > Bone Marrow Failure Diseases > MDS
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

MDS Myelodysplastic syndromes

Old Tue Aug 21, 2012, 06:34 PM

Worst Week Ends with Unexpected Improvement

My dad went to the ER last Saturday - August 11 - and he was sent home 2 days later on Monday. At the hospital, he was given 2 units of blood, fluids and tons of antibiotics. They never really said if he actually had an infection, but couldn't find anything wrong, so that's why he was sent home. That night was horrible: he was extremely weak, kept peeing on himself, etc. He had no appetite, acted senile (or drugged), could only talk by almost whispering. Hospice came by on Tuesday and brought a walker, a wheelchair, oxygen tank, adult diapers (pull-ups) and pads for the bed. Each day he has gotten stronger and his appetite has come back. The doctor had told my mom on the Monday he was sent home (by phone) that he thought he might be transitioning into AML, so would not be getting Revlimid. Well, we all thought that he would get worse every day, instead of better! He even ate a bacon cheeseburger for lunch today! It's gotten to the point where he just uses the walker instead of the wheelchair. He is even talking a lot more and being more like himself. The only thing is that today he had an accident when he couldn't get to the bathroom in time. I was the one helping him and cleaned the mess. He had terrible diarrhea. I just think it's strange (although great!) that he would improve if he has AML. Maybe it's just the MDS and how it's affecting him.
Jill, daughter of Joe, age 76; dx mds RAEB-2 in 3/2010; Low wbc and low hgb, platelets normal; Put on Dacogen for 1.5 years, worked great until 3/12; Vidaza treatment next, 5 rounds - no improvement. Passed away from mds 11/13/12 after a long fight
Old Tue Aug 21, 2012, 07:26 PM
Owner

Jill,

We've all been warned of the roller coaster nature of MDS, but that's such a big swing, from weak and barely able to talk in the ER to home eating a bacon cheeseburger, that it's hard to believe!

I'm sorry you had a lousy day today. Perhaps he felt a lot better and got overenthusiastic. His system probably just wasn't ready for a cheeseburger. Since he had diarrhea make sure he doesn't get dehydrated. Septuagenarians may not feel thirst as strongly as younger people, but they need liquid regularly just like the rest of us.
Old Tue Aug 21, 2012, 09:59 PM

Neil, actually he had the cheeseburger after the diarrhea episode, which was this morning! Yes, I don't know whether to be happy or sad, since he still can't walk without help, yet has gained back some strength since last week. I knew it could be a roller coaster ride, but this just wasn't expected at all given how bad off he was several days ago.
Jill, daughter of Joe, age 76; dx mds RAEB-2 in 3/2010; Low wbc and low hgb, platelets normal; Put on Dacogen for 1.5 years, worked great until 3/12; Vidaza treatment next, 5 rounds - no improvement. Passed away from mds 11/13/12 after a long fight