Home         Forums  

Go Back   Marrowforums > Bone Marrow Failure Diseases > MDS
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

MDS Myelodysplastic syndromes

Old Sat Aug 10, 2013, 11:39 PM

Rash after Blood Transfusion

I had another Blood Transfusion last week. It finished about midnight Thursday night. On Friday night I noticed I had a rash all over my stomach and patches of my back. It has subsided quite a lot since then. I have made an appt to see my GP this week. For quite some time I've had a few itchy spots on my back, stomach & hips but this lot covered a bigger area.
Old Sun Aug 11, 2013, 12:05 AM

Do you take Benadryl before each transfusion? Bob's Dr. always has him take Benadryl and Tylenol before every transfusion to prevent rash and itching. Works for him.
Old Sun Aug 11, 2013, 03:32 AM

Glenda, Tina also takes Benedryl when getting transfussions, it works well for her, especially for platelet transfussions because she has a tendency to get sick ( throw up ). It makes you sleepy, but its worth it. It is good you have made an appointment that way your doc can put in your order what you need and it will make the transfussion process less difficult. Some people have reactions and some dont, any kind of reaction should be reported, since you seem to be having these reactions I would keep an eye on your tempture after transfussions. We go thru this all the time, Im waiting on Tina right now at 3:00 am to come home from the hospitol, she had a feaver this afternoon and her mother took her the hospitol to get checked out so they gave her blood and platelets, we are prying for you, Liz praying or you and Bob to
Billy - Husband of Tina: 31 years old at dx - June 2007 - Stage 3 Breast Cancer - Dec 2008 Stage 4 - Brain and Bone - Nov 2012 - Therapy Related AML. Curently on Decitabine for Therapy Related AML and Herceptain for ongoing Breast Cancer. Weekly transfussions of blood and platelets
Old Tue Aug 13, 2013, 07:19 AM

visit to Dr re rash

Well I went to see my general Dr today. She doesn't think the rash had to do with the blood transfusion. However if it happens again next time I'll look into it again. She gave me a script for some cream to put on the other itchy areas and I bought some special body wash as well. I've heard of Benadryl but haven't checked it out.
Old Tue Aug 13, 2013, 07:06 PM

Hi Glenda,

After having regular transfusions for a number of years I suddenly came out in a rash one day. From that time on my doctor always ordered a pre med of Phenergan and hydrocortisone that was given IV half an hour before the transfusion.

I got sleepy from the Phenergan but that's okay, I wasn't going anywhere for the next few hours.

Regards

Chirley