Home         Forums  

Go Back   Marrowforums > Bone Marrow Failure Diseases > AA
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

AA Aplastic anemia

Old Sun Jul 19, 2009, 12:20 PM

Port-a-Cath Chest Shield for physical activities..sports

My 11 Y.O. son is on Cycl therapy, week 14, after ATG treatment for Severe A.A. His numbers for ANC and platelets and RBC are high enough to allow him some physical activity..but the question is, HOW DO WE PROTECT THE PORT AREA FROM IMPACT? I have searched the web for a shield / contraption and can find nothing, absolutely nothing for this purpose! Bizarre. Any suggestions, links, etc.? (The hospital's PT department can "make" him one they say, but I don't think insurance covers it..so I am trying to make one of my own..but I'm awful with that sort of thing and have failed twice already!) Lauren
Old Mon Jul 27, 2009, 03:29 AM

What type of physical activity did you have in mind? There is a netting that nurses make tube/shirt-like wraps that can hold the lines against the patients chest. I used to carefully wrap the lines in a large gauge? (spelling) and then cover it with an extra-large tegaderm and finally my son would wear the netting. For extra protection like throwing the football (playing catch) wear a chest protector like the ones used in Karate...I think the padding comes in varying thickness.

hope this helps

Norma J (Yashar's mom)
Dx'ed 2004 SAA
Doing well
Old Mon Jul 27, 2009, 12:49 PM

Smile line protecter

I used baby socks over my hickman line.They gave me extra padding while in bed and helped to keep the lines clean.I also wore a t shirt for extra padding and protection, of course I' m not as active as some.
Robert S
saa.2008/08 partially recovered.