Home         Forums  

Go Back   Marrowforums > Bone Marrow Failure Diseases > MDS
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

MDS Myelodysplastic syndromes

Old Thu Apr 11, 2013, 09:27 AM

Normal

Hello all
Just been informed I have MDS IPSS intermediate -2
Just wondering if anyone can tell me what a normal Single Antigen Positivity report looked like?

Thanks Blair
Old Thu Apr 11, 2013, 11:47 AM
Owner

Blair,

I haven't seen a single antigen positivity report but I've read about the technique and I think I understand how the testing works.

From what I've read, it's a fairly new technique that's used to detect the presence of anti-HLA antibodies, information that is used to determine the degree of match of a potential transplant donor.

For a successful bone marrow transplant, the antibodies called HLA (human leukocyte antigen) must be matched between donor and patient. The standard technique for this type of crossmatching is flow cytometry, and single antigen testing is reportedly a more sensitive test. The prospects for transplant success can be predicted by testing for anti-HLA antibodies.

The test is sometimes called the Luminex single antigen test, after the company that sells it. In the test, purified donor HLA molecules, which can be of a single HLA type, are attached to magnetic beads. If an antibody from the patient binds to the bead, that's a positive match and indicates a less good donor match.

Does this make sense with what you were told about the purpose of the test? Have a number of potential donors been identified?
Old Thu Apr 11, 2013, 12:54 PM

One of my sisters is a perfect match. It is a bone marrow bio. Using gate A:CD45 VS SSC. The percent of cells in the gate from total cells analyzed: 16%.
SINGLE ANTIGEN POSITIVITY
CD19:2%
CD5:2%
CD33:95%
CD3:1%
CD41a:44%
CD117:30%
CD34:40%
CD13:40%
CD7:11%
CD2:10%
CD4:5%
CD56:2%
CD14:2%
CD64:2%
HLA DR:32%
CD11b:49%
TdT:2%
Stem line shows a ring 7 chromosome as the only abnormality; a second cell line shows the ring 7 plus a deletion of a portion of 5q; a third shows the partially deleted 5q, with monosomy 7 (loss of the ring 7).
KARYOTYPE
46,XY,r(7)(p21q32)[4]/46,sl,del(5)(q12q33)[4]/45,sell,-r(7)[8]/46,XY[3] INTERPRETATION
Old Thu Apr 11, 2013, 03:10 PM
Owner

Blair,

Has the doctor told you his or her conclusion from the single antigen positivity test?

If your karyotype shows monosomy 7 then a transplant makes a lot of sense. Patients with monosomy 7, especially when combined with several other abnormalities, generally have a worse prognosis with drug treatments than patients with normal chromosome #7.