Home         Forums  

Go Back   Marrowforums > Bone Marrow Failure Diseases > Bone Marrow Failure
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Bone Marrow Failure Causes, treatment approaches, terminology, related diseases

Old Wed May 28, 2014, 09:55 PM

Stem cell production and Stemgevity

I have been reading about a product called Stemgevity which is claimed to increase stem cell production from the bone marrow. Just curious to know if any others have had any experience with this product
Old Thu May 29, 2014, 12:56 AM
Owner

I haven't seen any independent medical review of this product. It's heavily publicized and promoted by those who sell it, which tell us basically nothing.

The doctor behind Stemgevity got a bad review here, while his rebuttal is here.
Old Thu May 29, 2014, 01:58 AM

Hi Neil, I'm not familiar with DO after a doctors name. Can you tell me, is it a medical doctor?

Thanks.
Old Thu May 29, 2014, 09:02 AM

I've no experience with it but it's pretty expensive for a supplement. The only ingredient I'm not familiar with is the deer antler which is used a lot in chinese medicine. It's an herb that supports tissue regeneration.
Here's some info on deer antler:
http://www.dragonherbs.com/prodinfo.asp?number=006

All the ingredients are pretty common vitamins or minerals or herbs. So I can see how this supplement can be helpful for some.
Marlene, wife to John DX w/SAA April 2002, Stable partial remission; Treated with High Dose Cytoxan, Johns Hopkins, June 2002. Final phlebotomy 11/2016. As of July 2021 HGB 12.0, WBC 4.70/ANC 3.85, Plts 110K.

Last edited by Marlene : Thu May 29, 2014 at 09:07 AM. Reason: add link
Old Thu May 29, 2014, 11:55 AM
Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chirley View Post
Hi Neil, I'm not familiar with DO after a doctors name. Can you tell me, is it a medical doctor?

Thanks.
D.O. means Doctor of Osteopathic Medicine, which is an advanced degree in a medical speciality.
Old Thu May 29, 2014, 12:43 PM

M.D. vs D.O.

When one decides to become a doctor, there are actually two ways to achieve the title of doctor and practice medicine. One can become a medical doctor (MD) or a doctor of osteopathy (DO). Both licenses allow one to practice medicine and have equally rigorous testing. The differences between an MD and a DO lie primarily in philosophy on how to practice medicine.
Both MDs and DOs tend to begin training by getting a four-year undergraduate degree, either in pre-med, or in a related science field. Each type of doctor will then complete four years of training before taking examinations that will result in licensure. Either type of doctor may then choose to specialize in a particular field and study for two to six more years. The doctor who specializes will then take further examinations to be licensed by the board of his or her specialty.

In most cases, the four years of medical school are quite similar. However the DO receives training in the muscular and skeletal system, and also in muscular and skeletal manipulation. A doctor who is a DO tends to evaluate a person’s health in terms of viewing the body as a complex related network. Any disease affects the whole body. The MD, conversely, may evaluate the disease in terms of how it affects certain parts of the body only.
Old Thu May 29, 2014, 06:56 PM

I'm pretty sure we don't have that category of doctor in Australia. I think either you are a medical doctor or you're not. I know that we have licensed Chinese Medicine Practitioners who aren't recognised as medical doctors here and Chiropractors etc. so a DO is more holistic? Why would you go to an MD?......sounds pretty good.
Old Thu May 29, 2014, 08:40 PM

We have plenty of Osteopaths in Australia. I went to an excellent one near Sydney after I was hit by a cyclist riding flat out on the footpath. I had been having physio and felt its effectiveness had ceased. The osteopath fixed my sciatica and did wonders for my shoulder. Their treatments are more gentle than chiropractic.
Dx MDS RAEB 10% blasts + hypogammaglobulinemia, Sep 2011. Jan 2012 BMB - blasts down to 2% w/out treatment so BMT cancelled. Re-diagnosis RCMD. Watch and wait from Feb 2012. IVIg 5-weekly. New diagnosis Oct 2019 AML 23% blasts in marrow, 10% blasts in peripheral blood.
Old Fri May 30, 2014, 12:41 AM

Thanks Cheryl. I just looked up my health insurance and it pays for alternative therapies. I might just give it a go and see if my tight muscles can be loosened.
Old Fri May 30, 2014, 05:25 AM

Osteopaths

Hi,
I don't think we have osteopaths in Sweden - I will google that issue because I have problems with thumb artrosis - too much working at the pc - my neck, my back (since 50 years) and plantar faschitis in my left foot. I am afraid of chiropractic treatment because I have friends who got more problems for example with their neck after that kind of treatment.
Kind regards
Birgitta-A
Old Fri May 30, 2014, 05:36 AM

Osteopaths use techniques like stretching and massage - great for muscle tightness, Chirley. I highly recommend it. Birgitta - my shoulder problems also stemmed from too many of years working on computers.
Dx MDS RAEB 10% blasts + hypogammaglobulinemia, Sep 2011. Jan 2012 BMB - blasts down to 2% w/out treatment so BMT cancelled. Re-diagnosis RCMD. Watch and wait from Feb 2012. IVIg 5-weekly. New diagnosis Oct 2019 AML 23% blasts in marrow, 10% blasts in peripheral blood.
Old Fri May 30, 2014, 01:24 PM

Osteopaths

Hi,
When I googled osteopaths I found that we have 38 osteopaths in Stockholm - I will contact one of them next week. Thank you Cheryl for the info!
Kind regards
Birgitta-A
Old Sat Jun 14, 2014, 12:11 AM

As a teen my doctor was a D.O. and she was awesome! She would test for things that other doctors wouldn't even think to test for!

Mainly, whether your doctor is an MD or DO, they can both be good or bad. If you feel good about your care, stay with the person. If not, move on.
Old Sat Jun 14, 2014, 06:16 AM

Osteopaths

Hi,
Now I have got one treatment at a very nice osteopath - I will try 6 treatments before I decide if I will continue.
Kind regards
Birgitta-A
Old Sun Jun 15, 2014, 08:20 AM

Thanks for the update Brigatta-A. I am interested in how this goes for you. I am considering going to a DO for some neck and shoulder tension issues so this is timely.
Marlene, wife to John DX w/SAA April 2002, Stable partial remission; Treated with High Dose Cytoxan, Johns Hopkins, June 2002. Final phlebotomy 11/2016. As of July 2021 HGB 12.0, WBC 4.70/ANC 3.85, Plts 110K.
Old Sun Jun 15, 2014, 01:18 PM

Osteopath

Hi Marlene,
Yes I will - next session is 18 June.
Kind regards
Birgitta-A