Home         Forums  

Go Back   Marrowforums > Bone Marrow Failure Diseases > MDS
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

MDS Myelodysplastic syndromes

Old Mon Apr 29, 2013, 04:07 PM

completely being paranoid about CBC results today...

Hi! I'm waiting my appointment at Moffitt Cancer center. I've waited almost 4 weeks now. My appointment is a week from today. I have neutropenia. My white count is almost always less than 2 and my ANC is usually less than 500. I haven't had a normal white count since April last year. My bone marrow biopsy shows trisomy 18 and monosomy 19. and is hypocellular.
My hem/onc doesn't know what's going on and is referring me to Moffitt. She's been having me get CBC's twice a week and neupogen when needed.
Today my white count was 4.0 and ANC 1700. It hasn't been that high since I don't know how long and barely reaches that high the day after neupogen (which I didn't not get nuepogen since thursday).
So now I'm paranoid that something has changed and my counts are rising for a reason. And of course I'm assuming the worse.
Has anyone had this happen? I'm sorry for being paranoid, its just that waiting for the four weeks has been really hard on me with nothing to do but sit around an worry about what might be wrong with me.
Thanks!
Amy
Old Tue Apr 30, 2013, 07:32 AM

Smile

Neupogen can definitely make you white count go up significantly. I understand Moffit is the place to go in Central Florida. I am sure that they will be able to sort it out for you. When I had neupogen my white count would go up significantly similar to yours. Good luck with your appointment.
Old Tue Apr 30, 2013, 09:05 AM

WBC

Hi Amy.
When my counts are better I am thankful - your WBC and ANC are still under the normal range. As far as I understand there is no reason to think that your blasts are increasing or whatever you think maybe is going on.

You know there are so many factors that can have an impact on counts. My doctor often tells me that it is "the trend" that is important - he only changes medicines when the counts have showed a "trend" for many weeks.
Kind regards
Birgitta-A
74 yo, dx MDS Interm-1 2006, positive results with Thalidomide + Prednisone since 2010.
Old Tue Apr 30, 2013, 09:09 AM

Hi! Thanks for the reply. I appreciate it. Sitting an waiting can drive a person a little crazy.
Thank you!
Amy