Home         Forums  

Go Back   Marrowforums > Treatments > Alternative Treatments
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Alternative Treatments Complementary and alternative medicine; natural and holistic approaches

Old Mon May 16, 2016, 08:05 PM

Herbs, Supplements, Homeopathics

Hi,

Looking around at some of the threads, I see that there are many posts about complementary and traditional remedies targeted at our diagnoses.

There are many tonic herbs, basic supplements, and possibly helpful homeopathics for just getting through the day and taking care of the rest of our bodies. And, many are gentle and non-toxic (unless maybe we have sensitivities.)

Peppermint tea and similar for our bellies. A little extra B-vits, as a complete multivit, for stress and general health. Eleuthero is a possible tonic herb without the extreme energy of a panax ginseng. Vitamin D (and a Vit D lab periodically) is just plain helpful - so said one of my heme/oncs ("but don't tell anyone that I told you so. I started taking large doses of Vit D and many of my aches and pains went away. . .") She wanted to write me a prescription and I said that I had my own vendor. She said, Oh, but you have to be careful . . .

If you look at the quality control documents of a good supp/herb company, you can look for their statements that they have 3rd party quality control auditors - more than one usually. And, they give the names of those 3rd party companies. For an example, you can go to pureencaps.com or Thorne Supps and look at their QA/QC. Or, look at Mountain Rose Herbs and their QA/QC. Someone mentioned Gaia and they seem to have a robust QA/QC.

There are homeopathics for sinusitis. Some work for me, some don't. I don't re-buy the ones that don't work but I do buy again the ones that do.

Keep a notebook of what works, for what, and when it worked or didn't.

Someone also mentioned the Sloan-Kettering Complementary website - this is great to look up contraindications, safety, and level of evidence.
Old Mon Aug 14, 2017, 09:24 AM

My husband has been taking Juice Plus for the last 2 years. It's completely natural- it is dried and Juiced fruits and vegetables. Not synthetic vitamins. I think all of the enzymes for the fruits and vegetables has certainly help to strengthen his immune system. He's two plus years out from his transplant and he's experiencing chronic graft-versus-host disease. His bout with infection seem to not last very long and his infections have been rare. The strongest battle right now is major joint stiffness, and his skin rash. Also his lung capacity is not quite 100%. We also have been reading that a 3-day fast can restart your immune system. He did a 64 hour fast and just ended this morn (only drank bone marrow broth and juiced veggies) We're going to see if that helped anything.
Old Mon Aug 14, 2017, 02:39 PM

Why should I be trying to strengthening my immune system while I am taking so many immunosuppressants?
Old Tue Aug 15, 2017, 12:13 AM

Interesting response, rar! How are your white cells and globulins on your current regime? And how are you feeling now?
Dx MDS RAEB 10% blasts + hypogammaglobulinemia, Sep 2011. Jan 2012 BMB - blasts down to 2% w/out treatment so BMT cancelled. Re-diagnosis RCMD. Watch and wait from Feb 2012. IVIg 5-weekly. New diagnosis Oct 2019 AML 23% blasts in marrow, 10% blasts in peripheral blood.
Old Thu Oct 19, 2017, 09:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aliciamock View Post
We also have been reading that a 3-day fast can restart your immune system. He did a 64 hour fast and just ended this morn (only drank bone marrow broth and juiced veggies) We're going to see if that helped anything.
Hi Alicia. I've been wanting to do a 72-hour fast but I'm a little concerned that with bone marrow failure disease it would not be a good idea. Did the fast help your husband?
Joanne, 65F, 8/17 dx Primary MDS-EB1, Pancytopenia; 6/19 MPN w/CMML characteristics, dr calling it AML even w/blasts <20%; 7/19 Induction w/Vyxeos resulting in complete remission with incomplete blood count recovery.