Home         Forums  

Go Back   Marrowforums > Treatments > Alternative Treatments
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Alternative Treatments Complementary and alternative medicine; natural and holistic approaches

Old Fri Aug 24, 2007, 12:35 AM

Shark liver oil is not pure squalene

Hi,

I'd like to point out that shark liver oil contains a component called akylgycerols that is useful to help the bone marrow function and for platelets production and is NOT just pure squalene. This is more so because there are products on sale having the words Shark Liver Oil and below it the word Pure Squalene, and it is easy to get confused.

The Australian manufacturer that we get supplies from is no longer producing the shark liver oil because of commercial reasons as there is more demand for Omega 3 oils and other fish oils, and even the health store supplier is recommending the use of squalene as an alternative. But knowing the difference, we managed to get supplies from other stores, and the local health store is looking for a long term replacement supplier for shark liver oil.

Regards

Peter
Peter Lim, Dad to Stan, age 17 at time of dx Feb 2002VSAA; tx. ATG, cyclosporine, predisone; alternative herbal supplm & shark liver oil, off all meds 5/2002 normal blood counts. Only on shark liver oil.
Old Fri Aug 24, 2007, 01:01 PM

SLO

I get my shark liver oil from an online supplier by the name of Swanson Health Products. It lists the ingredients as ecoMarine shark liver oil - 550mg, squalene - 120mg, and alkyglycerols - 100mg. I started taking slo in May of this year and am also on revlimid. I have been transfusion free since mid May. Whether it is the SLO, the chemo, or just the grace of God, I do not know, but something is surely making a difference in my red blood cell production. The SLO I get from Swanson is relatively inexpensive, about $6.00/bottle of 60 softgels.
Tom, age 56, diagnosed with MDS RAEB Oct of 2006. Previously treated w/ vidaza, unsuccessfully. Revlimid successful 1 year. Progressed to AML 4/08 w/ 20% blasts, now in remission. BMT to take place 10/08.
Old Wed Sep 19, 2007, 03:16 AM

Supply of shark liver oil

Hi Tom,

It's great to hear that your haemoglobin levels have improved..and that is encouraging indeed. Also, your shark liver oil supply is really priced very cheap indeed.

Regards

Peter
Peter Lim, Dad to Stan, age 17 at time of dx Feb 2002VSAA; tx. ATG, cyclosporine, predisone; alternative herbal supplm & shark liver oil, off all meds 5/2002 normal blood counts. Only on shark liver oil.
Old Fri Sep 21, 2007, 11:04 PM

SLO

Okay I bought some for my daughter - her dr even said it was worth a shot as her platelets were never "normal" - at 500mg squalene and 100 mg alkoxylglycerols. Is the normal dosing what everyone else is taking? Is it metabolized better with foods?
Old Sun Sep 30, 2007, 07:44 PM

Thank You Peter

My daughters counts dropped significantly recently as she had become ill. I panicked and finally found some slo! Her counts are the highest they've ever been since dx! I don't know if its her own body or slo but I don't care! I'm just thrilled!!!
Old Tue Oct 2, 2007, 02:25 PM

That is just great! I am convinced SLO is for real.
Old Thu Oct 4, 2007, 03:25 PM

Kismit....what great news. I am happy for you both.
Tom, age 56, diagnosed with MDS RAEB Oct of 2006. Previously treated w/ vidaza, unsuccessfully. Revlimid successful 1 year. Progressed to AML 4/08 w/ 20% blasts, now in remission. BMT to take place 10/08.
Old Tue Oct 9, 2007, 07:43 PM

Question Shark Liver Oil

Hi, thanks for the good information. How do you take the capsules ( 1,2 or3 per day)? Platelets seem to be my main problem altho I am on Aranesp & Neupogen for my hgb & wbc. Some weeks I don't have to take my Aranesp (when my hgb is above 12). I thought maybe the SLO would help my platelets.

Sincerely,
Norma Bretz
Old Tue Oct 9, 2007, 10:49 PM

Question Question for Peter Lim

Hi Peter,
I'm wondering how to determine the quality and purity of the various shark liver oils that are available?

We just had a Pharmaca open in our community and I was sure I could walk in and find Shark Liver Oil. Nope. Nada. Plenty of other fish oils but not this one.

There are SO many suppliers online.. how to know?

Someone mentioned Swanson, there is also Now foods, Southern Deep, Lovely Health, bulknaturals, scandinavian formulas, etc. etc. etc. literally pages and pages of websites.

I am very apprehensive about quality control and purity. Any tips for knowing the integrity of any particular company?

Wendy/mom to Grant
Old Thu Apr 17, 2008, 06:55 PM

Purity of shark liver oil

Hi Wendy,

Sorry for the late reply cos I have not been too frequent to the forum for a while.

Regarding purity of shark liver oil:

The general guideline is to get shark liver oil that is sourced from sharks that originate from the deep oceans away from most sources of pollution. My personal research indicates the shark liver oil from deep sea sharks of New Zealand and Australia will meet this condition.

We get our shark liver oil from http://www.nutralife.com.au or http://www.nutralife.co.nz

No added gluten, yeast, artificial colors or flavors - shark liver oil of 1000mg capsules, one per day.

Yes, the supply of shark liver oil is getting a little difficult from the shops or health stores because the demand for other fish oils is higher than that of shark liver oil, and economics count where profitability is important. However, we make the order through the local health store who gets the supply for us. So you can always request the local health store to make an order for you. Alternatively, orders can be made online as well.

The only important thing is to make sure you are ordering shark liver oil and not the pure squalene.

Hope this helps.
Old Tue Jan 20, 2009, 08:59 AM

Crocodile blood

Hi all,
anybody has idea about crocodile blood should be helpful as one alternative of AA treatment.
Ronnie
Old Wed Dec 8, 2010, 05:11 AM

I read that shark liver oil can help to improve platelet count.
Is this another myth? I am afraid to try it. Does anyone has any ill effect with it? Or has it work for you?
Old Sun Feb 6, 2011, 05:32 PM

shark liver oil

is there anyone on Shark liver oil lately?

thanks
Old Mon Feb 7, 2011, 03:13 PM

Is SLO the same thing as Omega 3 fish oil?

Do you know if I can substitute the SLO for the Omega 3 fish oil I'm already taking? I was wondering and would love to save some money by killing 2 birds with 1 stone. Linda
Linda, 47 yo, married, mother of a teen, moderate AA w/ TERC mutation (2007 NIH), Pulmonary Fibrosis 2010, was on Danazol study (Aug 2011-2013 & restarted 9/14/15), last transfusion May 2011. On Promacta now. Needing a double lung and stem cell transplant.
Old Thu Feb 10, 2011, 10:51 AM

Squalene and low platelets

Hi, I am new and I have a question. I have hepatitis c and low platelets (127). I am waiting to start txt with a new drug and the standard Interferon in July. I just recently started taking Squalene (2x2) to try and get my platelets up. I have a brand of squalene from Cardiovascular Research Ltd., which is suppose to be pretty pure. It is 500mg squalene and 20% Alkylgycerois. I was noticing on a previous post that the amt. of Alkylgycerois was much higher. Do I need to find a brand that is higher and also some brands say take it with meals and some say before. I have been taking with breakfast and dinner. It concerns me about my platelets, even though I know they are not too low right now to start txt; one of the main problems with txt is that it causes platelets to drop and if they get too low then they cut back on the meds or stop altoghether. I am trying to get in the best health possible before I start this very hard treatment. The new drug is suppose to help pp with my genotype but it also cause added side effects along with the side effects that come from just the interferon alone. I also have high iron levels; but that's another problem.....anyone with any suggestions on the Squalene?
thanks.
Old Fri Feb 18, 2011, 04:00 AM

Shark liver oil info for Lindy

Quote:
Originally Posted by lindy View Post
I read that shark liver oil can help to improve platelet count.
Is this another myth? I am afraid to try it. Does anyone has any ill effect with it? Or has it work for you?
Hi Lindy,

You can check out the cancer.org site which gives good background reading on shark liver oil and may be able to provide you with the info and answers to your questions on efficacy and address your concerns on ill effects...from the following link:

http://www.cancer.org/Treatment/Trea...hark-liver-oil

Really hope the link will be useful to you.

Regards.
Old Fri Dec 2, 2011, 01:26 PM

shark liver oil

Does anyone know of a supplier for slo in ontario canada? My 13 year old son is relapsing again from aa and is sitting at 35 platelets. Thanks in advance
Old Mon May 28, 2012, 10:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by anita View Post
Does anyone know of a supplier for slo in ontario canada? My 13 year old son is relapsing again from aa and is sitting at 35 platelets. Thanks in advance
Hi Anita,

How are your son doing? Did you find a good supplier for SLO? My nehpew just got dx with SAA and I'm looking good supplements for him.

Thanks
Sharon
Old Tue Feb 19, 2013, 09:33 PM

ShARK LIVER OIL

I read that shark liver can not cure cancer but it seems to have a lot of benefits. I also know that the drugs I am on and treatments such as cycolsplorine and ATG can very well increase my risks of cancer too. I don't think this would be so common in Norway if it didn't have any healing properties. I am Scandinavian and these people take pride in their practices and are sea born people. I am unsure and skeptical about this drug because of what I read online. I found a book on herbs. I may decide to postpone this transplant if ATG and cyclosporine fail and start a herbal regime. I heard a woman on this site faired really well on a juice diet. I am going to make some new concoctions from recipes I have purchased online. So far I tried juicing for about 3 days with the products and my blood raised a bit. My platelets lowered but I did not need a transfusion. My juicer broke but when I purchase one I will let everyone know how it goes.
Quote:
Originally Posted by fibogann View Post
Hi Wendy,

Sorry for the late reply cos I have not been too frequent to the forum for a while.

Regarding purity of shark liver oil:

The general guideline is to get shark liver oil that is sourced from sharks that originate from the deep oceans away from most sources of pollution. My personal research indicates the shark liver oil from deep sea sharks of New Zealand and Australia will meet this condition.

We get our shark liver oil from http://www.nutralife.com.au or http://www.nutralife.co.nz

No added gluten, yeast, artificial colors or flavors - shark liver oil of 1000mg capsules, one per day.

Yes, the supply of shark liver oil is getting a little difficult from the shops or health stores because the demand for other fish oils is higher than that of shark liver oil, and economics count where profitability is important. However, we make the order through the local health store who gets the supply for us. So you can always request the local health store to make an order for you. Alternatively, orders can be made online as well.

The only important thing is to make sure you are ordering shark liver oil and not the pure squalene.

Hope this helps.
Old Fri Mar 1, 2013, 12:32 AM

Which is better for immune system & cancer: pure squalene or just shark liver oil?

Hi Peter,
I am searching the web in desperation to rescue my fast deteriorating health. I found a New Zealand website called "Lovely Health" and they offer some shark liver oil products.
What is the difference between "squalene" and "shark liver oil"?
Because I don't know which one is better for my situation. I have very low immune system and tumors which are in the process of being diagnosed. Plus my overall health declined so much that I can't function anymore even though I am 37 this year in Sept.
My father had a cancer and I used to buy him shark liver oil and he lasted 8 years even though the doctor gave him 2 years of living max. But I live in another country now where nothing like this is available.
I have NO BONE MARROW problems, just immune system and, possibly, cancer (?). Do you think that pure squalene is better in this case? Or "deep shark liver oil"? Before I make an order I would like to understand what's the difference & what is helping better in my case. Thanks in advance for your advice.

P.S. I know they say sleep, good diet & exercise is the key to your health but right now i am in the wheelchair and my energy is SO VERY LOW that I have problems even getting showered or brush my teeth. My physician ignores me and says "go home", another doctor prescribed heavy medications which were not needed which subsequently destroyed my health. I stopped taking them like 8 months ago but the damage is still there he doesn't care like most of doctors I have been dealing with in here. In the hospital abroad, after an emergency situation, they discover some disturbing things but I am still being diagnosed. People who reviewed my case said I have a good base for suing the 2 doctors for negligence/harm but I have no energy to function at all. I have no energy at all to make myself a healthy meal or even do shopping. My partner lives in another city and has very bad health problems as well (ambulance almost every day to rescue him so he can't help me much more). My family & friends walked away after I got ill & was unable to work anymore so my career & my private life was destroyed.
I hope that IF I start taking this "shark liver oil" products that it will help me get a little bit energy needed to get the healthy diet and being in state to go to my doctor's appointments. Right now I have a broken foot and a flu which makes it even more impossible to function....I can't sleep for days in a row.

Last edited by Joanna : Fri Mar 1, 2013 at 12:44 AM. Reason: additional information
Old Mon Aug 19, 2013, 04:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tutuAA View Post
Hi Anita,

How are your son doing? Did you find a good supplier for SLO? My nehpew just got dx with SAA and I'm looking good supplements for him.

Thanks
Sharon
HI Sharon,
my son is well now he had a bmt last March, how is your nephew doing?