Home         Forums  

Go Back   Marrowforums > Marrowforums.org > Site Comments
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Site Comments Questions and comments about Marrowforums

Old Sat Aug 21, 2010, 05:49 PM

"Quotes"

How do you get that grey "Quote" section prior to your reply?

Laura
Old Sat Aug 21, 2010, 06:17 PM
Owner

Instead of clicking the
Name:  vbulletin_reply.gif
Views: 2
Size:  3.2 KB
button at the top or bottom of the page, click the
Name:  vbulletin_quote.gif
Size:  2.0 KB
button of the specific post you are replying to. The forum system will put a quote of the previous post at the top of your message. You can then type your reply below it and click "Submit Reply".

Feel free to try it by quoting this post.
Old Sat Aug 21, 2010, 06:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil Cuadra View Post
Instead of clicking the
(Reply button)
button at the top or bottom of the page, click the
(Quote button)
button of the specific post you are replying to. The forum system will put a quote of the previous post at the top of your message. You can then type your reply below it and click "Submit Reply".

Feel free to try it by quoting this post.
Test...

Thanks, I always wondered how people did that. And it is nice if you are referring to a specific post that people know which one you are talking about.

Laura
Old Sat Aug 21, 2010, 11:51 PM
Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laura View Post
How do you get that grey "Quote" section prior to your reply?

Laura
I'm glad you asked about this, because other forum users have probably had the same question.

Quote:
Test...

Thanks, I always wondered how people did that. And it is nice if you are referring to a specific post that people know which one you are talking about.

Laura
I'll share an "advanced" tip as well. If you want to quote more than one previous post, as I've done here, there's a button for that too!

Suppose you want to quote two different posts. Click the "multi-quote" button
Name:  vbulletin_multiquote_off.gif
Size:  1.3 KB
next to each of those posts. You'll see the icons change color. You can select as many posts as you like, even across multiple pages of a long thread.

Then click the
Name:  vbulletin_reply.gif
Size:  3.2 KB
button and all of the posts you selected will be quoted in your message. You can type your own message at the bottom or put part of your message between the quoted posts as I did in this post.

If that's too confusing, don't bother with this advanced tip; you can always post twice instead. But it's handy to combine them if you know how!
Old Mon Aug 23, 2010, 12:58 PM

Quote:
I'm glad you asked about this, because other forum users have probably had the same question.

I'll share an "advanced" tip as well. If you want to quote more than one previous post, as I've done here, there's a button for that too!

(Multi-Quote button)
next to each of those posts. You'll see the icons change color. You can select as many posts as you like, even across multiple pages of a long thread.

Then click the
(Reply button)
button and all of the posts you selected will be quoted in your message. You can type your own message at the bottom or put part of your message between the quoted posts as I did in this post.

If that's too confusing, don't bother with this advanced tip; you can always post twice instead. But it's handy to combine them if you know how!
test

Quote:
Test...

Laura
test
Old Mon Aug 23, 2010, 12:59 PM

Got it thanks.

Laura
Old Tue Aug 24, 2010, 11:46 PM

Quote:
(Multi-Quote button)
Thanks for the tip, Neil. The multi-quote button was news to me!

I'll share another little tip: Instead of quoting the entire text of the person you want to reply to, use your right-click mouse function to edit it. Once you've clicked "quote", you can then highlight and cut out all but the most relevant parts, respace as needed, etc. That way people don't have to reread the same long message several times over if there's only one little question you wanted to answer. Just make sure to leave the open and close quote codes needed to create the box.
Old Thu Sep 9, 2010, 05:29 PM

How do you quote in PM?

Laura
Old Thu Sep 9, 2010, 10:18 PM
Owner

It depends on what you want to quote.

1. If you are reading a Private Message from another forum member, you reply by clicking the
Name:  vbulletin_reply_small.gif
Size:  2.0 KB
button and it automatically quotes the message that the other user sent you.

2. If you want to send a Private Message to another forum member and quote a post they made in a forum thread, there isn't a forum button for that, but you can get the same effect.

Suppose I want to quote the first post in this thread while sending Laura a Private Message about it:
a. I click the Quote button under that post.

b. Instead of typing anything in the message box, I select all of the text and pick Edit -> Copy in my web browser.

c. I click the Back button of my web browser since I didn't really want to post anything.

d. I start a Private Message to Laura by clicking her name, picking "Send a private message to Laura", and typing a message title.

e. I click in the message area and pick Edit -> Paste in my web browser.

f. I type my message below that.
Old Thu Sep 9, 2010, 10:54 PM

Mmm...I am referring to number one.

Okay here's the story. I had sent a message to a member. She replied back to me using different quotes in the reply. Then I hit the reply button to reply back to her. But it would only quote the previous quotes in the message but would not quote her reply to me. Does that make sense? It is sort of hard to explain.

Laura
Old Fri Sep 10, 2010, 08:58 AM
Owner

It's hard to tell without seeing the actual messages. Replies to a Private Message will normally quote everything in the message sent to you.

The person who sent you the message probably remembers what she said, so I hope it's not a problem that a quote of her message didn't seem to show up in your reply to her.
Old Fri Sep 10, 2010, 02:09 PM

When I replied to her message it would not quote her message I was replying too. It would only quote what she had replied too.

Ahh too hard to make sense writing out. Thanks anyway.

Laura