Home         Forums  

Go Back   Marrowforums > Bone Marrow Failure Diseases > Bone Marrow Failure
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Bone Marrow Failure Causes, treatment approaches, terminology, related diseases

Old Tue Jan 10, 2017, 01:10 PM

New study on age of transfused red cells

Another good reason to ask for fresher red cells. This study show that the longer the blood is stored, more damage to the red cells occur. They suggest discarding red cells at 5 week vs 6 weeks. The higher level of damaged cells in the transfused blood makes it difficult for the body to metabolize the excess iron in the bloodstream and can be problematic especially if you have an infection.
Bacteria thrives in an iron rich environment.

https://www.sciencedaily.com/release...0109162345.htm
Marlene, wife to John DX w/SAA April 2002, Stable partial remission; Treated with High Dose Cytoxan, Johns Hopkins, June 2002. Final phlebotomy 11/2016. As of July 2021 HGB 12.0, WBC 4.70/ANC 3.85, Plts 110K.
Old Thu Jan 12, 2017, 06:55 PM

Last Friday I had my regular blood transfusion and the blood was 2 days off expiry. I wasn't very happy but there's nothing you can do about it. I'm interested in seeing what my next test shows and whether it has any adverse effect.
Old Sun Jan 15, 2017, 12:05 PM

Request orders for newer red cells

I would ask the doctor to include a request on your orders for red cell to be less than 5 weeks old otherwise, they will transfuse you with the oldest red cells.
Marlene, wife to John DX w/SAA April 2002, Stable partial remission; Treated with High Dose Cytoxan, Johns Hopkins, June 2002. Final phlebotomy 11/2016. As of July 2021 HGB 12.0, WBC 4.70/ANC 3.85, Plts 110K.
Old Sun Jan 15, 2017, 09:09 PM

Thanks for that but we are currently experiencing a blood donor shortage due to our summer holiday season. I have to take what's available. It is leukocyte depleted, irradiated and CMV negative...so the Doc is being cautious.

Two more weeks and the summer holidays are over...things should return to normal, hopefully.
Old Thu Jan 19, 2017, 06:02 PM

Fresh blood

I have a dozen donors who will give blood on a rotating basis just for me. The doctor signs a directed donor form. I receive irradiated blood so no worry
Of graph vs host disease. I simply let two of my donors know when they should schedule to donate. I am receiving blood every 14-18 days so I try timing the donation one week out from tentative transfusion date. Infrequently I am caught with needing blood and not having any direct Donor blood and I use the normal blood supply.
Old Fri Jan 20, 2017, 12:12 PM

BarbM, what is your relationship/diagnosis with MDS or one of these related diseases? Have you had a stem cell transplant?