Home         Forums  

Go Back   Marrowforums > Bone Marrow Failure Diseases > AA
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

AA Aplastic anemia

Old Mon Oct 23, 2017, 08:31 AM

Living with Possible MAA

My hematologist believes I may have moderate aplastic anemia. Unfortunately, my first bone marrow sample was non-diagnostic, and my hematologist is actively helping me seek a second opinion. I know all who live with this chronic illness have had different experiences, but I am trying to get a better understanding of how long I could be living in this watch and wait phase? It is so difficult for me to wrap my head around the fact that my marrow could be failing, but there is no treatment until I transition to that next level of severity.
Old Mon Oct 23, 2017, 10:32 PM

Hi Christin,

The first thing to do is to get an accurate diagnosis from an expert in the field. AA is a disease of exclusion, so the doctors should run you through a bunch of different tests to rule out the more common causes of pancytopenia (vitamin/mineral deficiencies, viruses, certain medications, etc) Hopefully, it turns out to be one of those causes! Have you had a bunch of tests to look for other causes? Were you really ill in the past 4 months? How are your counts?
Old Sun Nov 26, 2017, 02:41 PM

Newly Diagnosed with Aplastic Anaemia

Hi to All,
Ive just been diagnosed with Aplastic anaemia by my Haemotologist, apparently my platelets have been very low for the last 3-4 months, ive attended Haemotology clinic at my local hospital for the last 6 weeks, and each time ive bn my bloods have fallen, I had a bone marrow biopsy a month ago, and the results have bn diagnosed as Aplastic Anaemia, I have never heard of this condition.
I would appreciate any advice , I am being referred to another hospital to see what is on offer for me?
I live alone im 60 years old, I also have chronic Lyme Disease which ive had for 7 years now, my son lives nearly 100 miles away from me, so I dont really have anyone to help me?
Im hoping to request my referral to a hospital nearer to where my son lives?

Many Thanks
Old Mon Nov 27, 2017, 04:40 PM

Hi Maureen
Where have you been referred to?
I haven't had a diagnosis myself so I can't offer much advice! Sorry to hear about your diagnosis.
Being closer to your son sounds like a good idea to me!