Home         Forums  

Go Back   Marrowforums > Treatments > Pediatrics
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Pediatrics Treatment for juvenile patients

Old Wed Jun 10, 2009, 01:39 AM

Mother of 4 year old SAA diagnosed Dec 08

new to this site today - so great to read the posts of many of the things I am researching.

Looking into MUD transplants for kids that age. Potential transplant hospital COH.
Old Wed Jun 10, 2009, 12:26 PM

Welcome to the site! I had SAA the first time around when I was 5 and if it makes you feel any better, I really don't remember much about those times, only snippets of fun things, like getting IVs and masks for my stuffed animals, showing my hospital friends my IVs in both hands, watching "Mr. Mom" in the hospital playroom, and the time a red blood bag burst over us while we played Atari in the hospital games room. I really don't remember the painful procedures at all, though I know they must've happened, and if your son/daughter is anything like me, they'll come out of this with a superpower for needles (as in, they don't bother me in the slightest)! I had all my treatment at Hershey Medical Centre and CHOP in Philadelphia back in 1984.

I don't know anything about BMT for kids as I had ATG back then, but there's lots of helpful people here so I'm sure someone can help.
36/F - 1984 SAA treated with ATG [complete remission until] Oct 08 - burst blood vessels in eyes and low platelets; Jan 09 - AA & hypo-MDS; July 09 - BMT (RIC MUD PSCT) July 10 - 10k for Anthony Nolan (1yr post BMT! 53:48) Sep 10 - Wedding! I've run 5 marathons now!! (PB 3:30!)
Old Wed Jun 10, 2009, 11:46 PM

Thank you so much

for your comments.
I wish you well on your BMT! WOW - what a great remission!!! So glad to hear from you.
Old Sat Jun 13, 2009, 02:10 PM

Smile

Hi, my daughter is 10 and was recently diagnosed with SAA in april of this year. we are still waiting for some test results to determine her treatment, if my son or i am a match theyre going straight to a bmt hopefully this summer. if not, theyll start her on the other treatments.
we are being cared for through cheo at ottawa right now, but a bmt would be done at sick kids in toronto