Home         Forums  

Go Back   Marrowforums > Treatments > Alternative Treatments
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Alternative Treatments Complementary and alternative medicine; natural and holistic approaches

Old Tue Apr 1, 2014, 01:48 PM

Hope

Kathy S, wonderful that your husband is in remission, may he continue to be in good health!!

My mother has always relied on fresh, unprocessed food. She does not eat meat, drink or smoke. Yet she has MDS, many others on this forum mention that they were shocked at diagnosis because they led healthy lives. It seems MDS cases like hers is unlike other solid tumors which grow on a high sugar-meat-dairy-processed food diet. What can help my mothers MDS remains a mystery, we are trying everything in the low-toxic & alternative space but nothing seems to work. Hope is also running out. Maybe its time to finally give the toxic drugs a go!! Sorry, I wish I had something positive to report.
Old Tue Apr 1, 2014, 02:30 PM

Just a reminder...

This thread has been ongoing for several years, and the TITLE is misleading. I think it's time to remind contributors that there is an updated link mentioned by Birgitta's comment "Unfortunately there are no drugs that contains so much heavy metals, pesticides and bacteria as Ayuerveda drugs... Be careful!"

http://www.healthycanadians.gc.ca/re...ext_1=ayurveda
Ric: Low-risk MDS (blasts <4%); 4 cycles Revlimid no positive response; PRBC transfusion dependent; so far, 392'units' over 8 3/4 years; BMB #4 (15/04/01) shows evolution to AML (blasts 20-30%) 47,XY,del(5) (q22q35),+21[24][cp24]/46,XY(1).
Old Tue Apr 1, 2014, 03:37 PM

Alternative treatments

Wherever it is listed I still feel desperation will have people looking to alternatives, no matter what it is. I also believe people are just attempting to get more information to make a personal decision to what journey they want to take. Until a 'cure' is found no one should stop researching or looking. I really don't understand what difference it makes to where a response comes from or a if a TITLE is misleading, I was only responding to a message I saw. Sorry if not politically correct.
Kathy,wife of 69 year old male with DX June 2013 with MDS= RAEB 2refractory with Extra Blast Very High Risk WBC 1.9-RBC 2.29-HGB 8.1-PLT 32-, as of Aug 2013:. BMB 12/4/13= WBC 5.57/RBC 4.86/HGB 15.5/HCT 42.8/RDW 49.6/PLT 188. 3% blast.BMB 4/11/14 WBC1.6,PLT12,RBC2.6,HGB9.2
Old Tue Apr 1, 2014, 08:33 PM

Kathy, Thanks for the reading recommendation, I put the book on order at the library it looks interesting. Just saw this article on vegetable intake, I've been eating what I thought was a insane amount of vegetables 1.5lbs a day (Taylor Farms Organic (Costco) Power Greens (Spinach, Kale, Chard) 1.5 lb Bag) it's 8 servings. I blend it in a nutri bullet and drink it. anyway here's the article...
People who eat seven or more portions of fresh fruits and vegetables each day may reduce their risk of dying from a wide variety of diseases by as much as 42 percent over people who consume less than one portion, according to a new study by British researchers who tracked the eating habits of more than 65,000 people for 12 years.

The study, released Monday evening in the Journal of Epidemiology and Community Health, found that at any point over that period, people who ate seven or more portions of fruits and vegetables dropped their risk of death from cancer by 25 percent and from cardiovascular disease by 31 percent.

Consumption of vegetables and salad proved to have a greater “protective effect” than eating fresh fruit, and consuming canned fruits actually increased the statistical risk of death, according to the researchers at University College London. Fruit juices had no effect at all.

More remarkably, the researchers said they were able to quantify the health benefits per portion of fruits and vegetables consumed. One to three portions daily reduced the chance of death from any cause by 14 percent, three to five portions had a 29 percent impact, five to seven portions dropped the chances by 36 percent and seven or more portions produced a 42 percent decline in the risk of death. The benefits appeared to tail off at that level.

The study concluded that each daily portion of fresh vegetables reduced the overall risk of death by 16 percent. For salad, the benefit was 13 percent, and for fresh fruit it was 4 percent.

A news release issued by the university said the study is the first to quantify health benefits per-portion. In the study, however, the researchers were cautious to make clear that “this study has found a strong association, but not necessarily a causal relationship” between fresh fruit and vegetable intake and declining mortality. “There are additional unmeasured confounders not included in the analyses, including other aspects of diet. Total energy intake and salt consumption were not measured, and assessment of fat intake was not made in most years, and were therefore not included in these analyses,” the authors wrote.

They also noted that the results are based on people’s own reports of their eating habits, rather than observed data.

Nevertheless, the findings appear to provide strong support for increased consumption of vegetables and fruits that governments around the world, as well as the World Health Organization, have promoted for years.

“We all know that eating fruit and vegetables is healthy, but the size of the effect is staggering,” Oyinlola Oyebode, the study’s lead researcher, said in a prepared statement.

The results take into account sex, age, cigarette smoking, social class, Body Mass Index, education, physical activity and alcohol intake. They did not count deaths that occurred within a year of the food survey. The researchers also noted that fruit and vegetable consumption is inversely related to household income.
Old Wed Apr 2, 2014, 08:28 AM

Kathy,

I don't feel your post was politically incorrect at all. Many have found a way to integrate western medicine and natural approaches to improve their health keeping their disease in check. And from what I can see, Radical Remission is another tool that can benefit people no matter what path they choose.

So glad your husband has been able to maintain his health.
Marlene, wife to John DX w/SAA April 2002, Stable partial remission; Treated with High Dose Cytoxan, Johns Hopkins, June 2002. Final phlebotomy 11/2016. As of July 2021 HGB 12.0, WBC 4.70/ANC 3.85, Plts 110K.
Old Wed Apr 2, 2014, 09:22 PM

Thumbs up

Tom, I find your information very interesting and a belief that I have. I remember when they used to say 'you are what you eat'. When you take a look at increase of diseases today, and the relationship of money being more important than health to the large business and fast food being consumed today I think it can a relative reason. My husbands MDS is now being looked at as contaminated water while he was stationed at Camp LeJeun in the Marines and benzene being in the water.
He just had an appointment today at Moffit Cancer Center and I have noticed that over the last three months his counts have started to drop and today his platelets went into the 50's. Next week he will have a BMB done. He had excellent results after two months of Vidaza putting him into total remission. I had him on a juicing diet of Organic veggies and fruits, supplements, no beer and very limited sugar and no coffee. Around the holiday he became more lax on such his diet and started to add things back into it. I noticed in January his counts started to change from excellent to dropping gradually each month. Dr. does not know if Vidaza has stopped working or itself is the reason his counts are down. Reason to BMB to see what is going on. He is going back onto restricted diet as of today. We will see. What you are doing can only enhance your strength. Good luck with all of it. Reading ' Radical Remission ' is only going to help the person who reads it and makes the changes. My husband has not read it, if you get what I mean. :-) Prayers are with you. Kathy
Kathy,wife of 69 year old male with DX June 2013 with MDS= RAEB 2refractory with Extra Blast Very High Risk WBC 1.9-RBC 2.29-HGB 8.1-PLT 32-, as of Aug 2013:. BMB 12/4/13= WBC 5.57/RBC 4.86/HGB 15.5/HCT 42.8/RDW 49.6/PLT 188. 3% blast.BMB 4/11/14 WBC1.6,PLT12,RBC2.6,HGB9.2
Old Wed Apr 2, 2014, 09:29 PM

Smile

Marlene, Your response is appreciated and I feel Radical Remission has some good information in it that really should be common sense, but sometimes we just over look common sense.
We will see how my husband makes out next week. It is so difficult to hear the words you have heard before. Our faith remains strong to hear better things.
Old Thu Jul 17, 2014, 04:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pezcubano View Post
Sherrin,
My mother was diagnosed with MDS last week and we are looking for alternative treatments for her. Your father's experience seems very interesting and I'm sure would apply to her. How can I get in touch?
Thanks
please share your details..
Old Mon Sep 15, 2014, 10:34 AM

Lymphoma

Quote:
Originally Posted by jinsjohn View Post
please share your details..
Ofcourse cancer cure is not an easy task. But there are many people who survive either with chemo / radio / alternate therapy. Each path has its own pros and cons. When legally no one can claim to cure CANCER, even the anticancer drugs approved to extend the life but not cure.

Here in Bangalore we offer turmeric and ginger based FOOD therapy with technological advancement. We don't claim cure, but if you are undergoing CTRT, it can provide multiple benefits of reducing hospital stay, pain, reduced drug requirement, reduced infection, increased efficacy of CTRT, reduced side effects of CTRT.

If you have doubt about CHEMO /RADIO success, you can include this Nutritional Therapy to increase the success rate.

If you don't have any option of therapy available, then also you can have best benefits.

The person working for this that is me; is not registered Ayurveda or Homeopathy or Sidda or Unani Physician. I am a pharmacologist cum Drug Discovery Scientist.

I don't charge any amount for consultation. I am more than happy to educate about the various alternate options available to save their life like

1. Ketogenic Therapy
2. Fasting Therapy
3. Alkalanising Therapy
4. Hyperthermia Therapy
5. Hyperbarric oxygen therapy
6. Anti angiogenic Therapy
7. Vitamin C Therapy
8. Anti-oxidants Therapy
9. Immunomodulator Therapy
10. Chilly Therapy

You can avail printouts of research reference articles or get them emailed after discussion.

There are many therapies which doesn't even cost a penny except learning. Don't give up the hope. My aim is to provide

HOPE WHEN THERE IS NO HOPE

You can call +91 88845 88835 if not answered, please leave message.
Old Mon Sep 15, 2014, 08:39 PM

I just saw a part of a documentary on TV last night (didn't catch the name) and it was proven in mice that fasting them for short periods of time increased their health/cognition/memory and life span.

That's why they recommend the 5/2 diet even in cancers. Eat normally but healthily for 5 days and then fast or greatly reduce your intake for two days every week with three minutes of very strenuous activity every day. No need for that one hour work out...just three minutes of very hard, full on strenuous activity every day. Lab results have shown remarkable results.

So some of the therapies mentioned by cancerherbalist are becoming more mainstream. I also heard that the Chilli one is good for warding off dementia.
Old Thu Sep 18, 2014, 05:27 PM

The OP has used a TITLE that is untrue and certainly misleading! It would be nice if OP returned to this forum someday to revise that title to something believable.
Ric: Low-risk MDS (blasts <4%); 4 cycles Revlimid no positive response; PRBC transfusion dependent; so far, 392'units' over 8 3/4 years; BMB #4 (15/04/01) shows evolution to AML (blasts 20-30%) 47,XY,del(5) (q22q35),+21[24][cp24]/46,XY(1).
Old Thu Sep 18, 2014, 07:51 PM

The OP?
Old Fri Sep 19, 2014, 01:37 AM

OP?

Is that short form for original poster?
DX MDS RA Low Risk August 2012. DX Changed to MDS RAEB1. Progressed to AML July 2013. Participated in clinical chemo trial CPX351 and relapsed four months later in March 2014. Maintenance chemo -VIDAZA (AZA) stopped after 4 rounds. Awaiting full report from BMB.
Old Fri Sep 19, 2014, 09:13 AM

Hi Chirley,

We've been doing the 5/2 fasting since February. Lost weight but John's counts haven't really changed but then we did not do any blood work prior to starting. But stable is a good thing too. Did notice that his serum glucose has improved though. Anytime you improve your glucose levels and how your body handles insulin, you improve your health. I'll have to go back and look at past results. I had a spreadsheet with all the data on it but somehow, the file is "broken" so I have to see if I can recreate some of it.

Now we'll have to start the 3 minutes of exercise. HA! I should be able to that!

Thanks for posting.

Marlene
Marlene, wife to John DX w/SAA April 2002, Stable partial remission; Treated with High Dose Cytoxan, Johns Hopkins, June 2002. Final phlebotomy 11/2016. As of July 2021 HGB 12.0, WBC 4.70/ANC 3.85, Plts 110K.
Old Fri Sep 19, 2014, 10:47 AM

Quackery???

Just yesterday I asked my Doctor about this 2 day fasting and he told me don't do it and that its quackery. He said fasting puts a strain on the Kidneys and electrolytes and can lead to dehydration... However if I want to cut my caloric intake for 2 days of 7 he's fine with that just don't overdo it.
Old Fri Sep 19, 2014, 11:10 AM

I would not call it quackery. That's a bit extreme. There is a lot of research behind the various fasting type diets. The 5/2 is not a complete fast. For two days out of the week, you limit your caloric intake to 500 cal for women, 600 for men.

You do have to drink more fluids but you can choose things that have electrolytes. If you drink just black coffee or distilled water, that would not be a good choice. Just be smart about what you eat and drink for those two days. And they are nonconsecutive days. You never fast two days in a row.

In fact, John's Serum Creatinine has improved from 1.07 in 2012 to 0.96 this August 2014. His potassium, sodium, calcium and chloride have remained the same.
Old Fri Sep 19, 2014, 12:27 PM

Marlene,
He said over time it could damage the kidneys. In either case its clear that the OP has the same credibility as the guy from Nigeria who sends me emails wanting to deposit millions in my bank account..
You want "real"Quackery then read this.. the reason why everyone needs a second opinion:
http://www.freep.com/story/news/loca...mail/15716679/
Old Fri Sep 19, 2014, 01:58 PM

He'd have to back that statement up and be a bit more specific. Let's face it, aging, over time, damages kidneys too. And it's pretty much a guarantee that too many calories will harm the kidneys. And...anyone with diabetes or other metabolic diseases cannot and should not attempt a fasting life style.

Just like most things, you have to do your homework and decide what's right for you.

You may want to look into the work of Dr. Valter Longo. He's been working on this since 1992. He's done work on fasting and cancer you might find interesting.

I have to agree with you on second opinions. A few years back they busted some dermatology clinics in Florida for cutting out skin cancers that didn't exist. These clinics had in-house pathology labs. So....find out where your biopsy is sent and make sure they don't have a connection to the doctor. Better yet, get a second pathology report too.

Can't let your guard down for on minute can you?
Old Fri Sep 19, 2014, 03:22 PM

Dr. Fata had over 1500 patients. He admitted to purposely misdiagnose and treat people that didn't have cancer and treat those that didn't need it. This all happened in Detroit and I just heard of it yesterday on yahoo news not important enough for the national news.
Old Fri Sep 19, 2014, 04:53 PM
Owner

Here's one of the news stories about it:
Michigan cancer doctor Farid Fata pleads guilty to 16 counts
Old Fri Sep 19, 2014, 05:15 PM

There's an on going investigation regarding others involved. The thought is more than one person had to know what was going on so they'll probably name others. There's a support group for his patients on facebook and of course many are concerned that they received radiology or other treatments that they didn't need. Many question the doctors that sent them to him and might they have gotten a piece. Some question the hospitals they were sent to by him. It goes pretty deep. Just amazed no coverage here in NY of such a heinous crime. I mean the guy is admitting to all this stuff to avoid a trial were he'd get nailed anyway and bring down his cronies with him. Wonders never cease..
Old Fri Sep 19, 2014, 05:25 PM

He should have been charged with "attempted murder" also. The state was notified in 2010 but they could not find anything wrong. The Federal Govt finally got him.
Old Fri Sep 19, 2014, 05:32 PM

Marlene,
the Feds are trying to get him for murder or medical terrorism.
They are seeking a life sentence. I don't think they'll show any mercy for this guy. They are looking to fry him. Deservingly so. Now, the question is how far the conspiracy goes as they strongly believe other doctors were involved. His staff ended up blowing the whistle on him.
Ironically, One of his patients was treated for a cancer he didn't have and developed a blood disease from the chemo. ANother guy also with no eveidence of cancer lost his legs, and one lost a kidney.

Last edited by sbk007 : Fri Sep 19, 2014 at 05:51 PM.
Old Sat Sep 20, 2014, 12:44 AM

I personally know someone who's doing the 5/2 regime. He's really thin. Says he's trying to be healthy....smokes a pack a day!
Old Fri Jun 12, 2015, 04:02 PM

can you please send me the articles and methods for taking care of AML patient?

Quote:
Originally Posted by cancerherbalist View Post
Ofcourse cancer cure is not an easy task. But there are many people who survive either with chemo / radio / alternate therapy. Each path has its own pros and cons. When legally no one can claim to cure CANCER, even the anticancer drugs approved to extend the life but not cure.

Here in Bangalore we offer turmeric and ginger based FOOD therapy with technological advancement. We don't claim cure, but if you are undergoing CTRT, it can provide multiple benefits of reducing hospital stay, pain, reduced drug requirement, reduced infection, increased efficacy of CTRT, reduced side effects of CTRT.

If you have doubt about CHEMO /RADIO success, you can include this Nutritional Therapy to increase the success rate.

If you don't have any option of therapy available, then also you can have best benefits.

The person working for this that is me; is not registered Ayurveda or Homeopathy or Sidda or Unani Physician. I am a pharmacologist cum Drug Discovery Scientist.

I don't charge any amount for consultation. I am more than happy to educate about the various alternate options available to save their life like

1. Ketogenic Therapy
2. Fasting Therapy
3. Alkalanising Therapy
4. Hyperthermia Therapy
5. Hyperbarric oxygen therapy
6. Anti angiogenic Therapy
7. Vitamin C Therapy
8. Anti-oxidants Therapy
9. Immunomodulator Therapy
10. Chilly Therapy

You can avail printouts of research reference articles or get them emailed after discussion.

There are many therapies which doesn't even cost a penny except learning. Don't give up the hope. My aim is to provide

HOPE WHEN THERE IS NO HOPE

You can call +91 88845 88835 if not answered, please leave message.
My friends wife from Sikkim has been to diagnosed to have AML for last 6 months. She has undergone several chemos now. Now doctor has said nothing much can be done and given some medicine. BMT was due and doctor cancelled it and said that it is not necessary and asked them to go home.
I thought they should start these suggestions that you have provided. Please forward me the methods / articles so that i can forward them / suggest and teach them these methods ..
Thanks in advance.
Nabhiraj, KOlkata, India