Home         Forums  

Go Back   Marrowforums > Bone Marrow Failure Diseases > MDS
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

MDS Myelodysplastic syndromes

Old Fri Jan 23, 2009, 11:09 PM

MDS and now skin cancer

I have had these growths/tumors growing on my legs (shins), biopsy came back as Squamous Cell Carcinoma.
Several of them grow and then sometimes they just go away. But the one that the biopsy was done on, has been very aggressive and much worse after the biopsy. At any given time, I usually have 3 or more of various sizes.

Has anyone ever experience this or in relation to MDS?

Btw, I am still tx independant for almost 7 months, my hem's are 150 give or take a couple. Although my doc is watching closely, they don't want them to go too high.

Take care,
Lynn
Old Sat Jan 24, 2009, 05:17 AM

Squamous Cell Carcinoma

Hi Lynn,
As far as I understand there is no connection between MDS and Squamous Cell Carcinoma. Valproic acis is used as a treatment for this type of cancer, so it can hardly be an adverse reaction to valproic acid.

I think our immunesystem doesn't function so well so we can have problems with all kinds of wounds. You could ask a dermatologist about treatment. I use Aldara (Imiquimod) for actinic keratos (sun wounds) with good effect.
Kind regards
Birgitta-A
Old Sat Jan 24, 2009, 10:48 AM

Yes, I agree. I know and have known for years that my immune system was out of wack.
That is interesting about VPA being used as a treatment for the skin cancer, that would certanly explain why these tumors go away or decrease in size.

I have been referred to another doc at Sunnybrook concerning this.

Thanks
Old Sun Jan 25, 2009, 06:47 PM

Hi Lynn, I too have had many Basal (sp?) and Squamous Cell Carcinomas through the years and you are right, sometimes they just go away. I recently had surgery on four and the good news is my margins are clear on all of them. I needed to get this done right away before my BMT February 9th.

Another BMB tomorrow (Monday) at 3:30. Hate them!

Take care
Old Mon Jan 26, 2009, 01:54 PM

Hi Lynn,

I have read that Cyclosporine increases your risk of developing skin cancer. I don't know if this pertains to you but thought I'd pass it along.
Old Mon Jan 26, 2009, 04:11 PM
Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopeful View Post
Hi Lynn,

I have read that cyclosporine increases your risk of developing skin cancer. I don't know if this pertains to you but thought I'd pass it along.
From what I've read, all forms of immunosuppression, not just cyclosporine, increase the risk of skin cancer. It's one of a number of possible side effects that have to be weighed against the need for immunosuppression therapy.

There's a specific warning for patients who have had certain psoriasis treatments that an increased risk of skin cancer can result from cyclosporine use.
Old Mon Jan 26, 2009, 09:02 PM

Thanks everyone for replying.

Rob, I hate BMB too, nasty things. Good luck and I hope your BMT goes well and you are cured of this bloody disease (pardon the pun).

Hopeful thanks, for the info, but at this point that doesn't apply to me, I have only had VPA for treatment along with tx which are no longer needed.

Take care,
Lynn