Home         Forums  

Go Back   Marrowforums > Treatments > Transplants
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Transplants Bone marrow and stem cell transplantation

Old Tue Jan 26, 2010, 10:38 PM

Hello Old Friends

It's been a very long time since I've posted but thought I'd pop in and say hello. My son Grant, dx with AA on 12/4/98 underwent a MUD BMT on 9/11/08, rejected that one, had a PBSCT using the same donor on 10/23/08 which engrafted but resulted in Grade IV GVHD and then had a "BOOST" on 8/11/09 which finally enabled him to be transfusion independent. It's been a loooong haul but we are finally seeing the light at the end of the tunnel. His counts are hovering in normal range for the first time in over 11 years and now our focus has turned to managing the collateral damage from the BMT.

I invite all of you to read our very long story on our CaringBridge http://www.caringbridge.org/visit/grantbeltrami

Today Grant had his very first therapeutic phlebotomy to begin whittling away at his severe iron overload- the result of 241 units of red cells. The last time we checked, his ferritin level was over 7000. Yikes.

We traveled through some really dark days in 2009. I want to pass on that BMT is a tough, tough journey and recovery continues to be challenging as well. Parents, spouses, caregivers... you can never be complacent. Always question, always research and always trust your instinct! Finding a doctor with AA experience is going to be your most important step.

Wendy B

Mom to Grant... now age 18!
Old Tue Jan 26, 2010, 10:43 PM

Hi Wendy,
I have been keeping up with your updates since his transplant. So glad to hear his labs are near normal and you can "see the light at the end of the tunnel". I hope very soon you can put all of this behind you and Grant can move on with his life.
Laura
Old Wed Jan 27, 2010, 12:20 AM
Administrator

Wendy, it is oh-so-good to see you here again. I too have been following Grant's (and your whole family's) arduous journey. If anyone deserves a return to normalcy after transplant it's Grant (and your whole family)!

For those of you who don't know her, Wendy is one of the most knowledgeable people in the world about the ins and outs of aplastic anemia in general and pediatric care in particular. She's also one of the most generous people I know for her willingness to share her knowledge and experience with those facing this dreadful disease.

Welcome back, Wendy.

Regards,
Ruth