Home         Forums  

Go Back   Marrowforums > Treatments > Transplants
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Transplants Bone marrow and stem cell transplantation

Old Sun Jan 12, 2020, 09:38 AM

white cells aren't growing

I was diagnosed with Myelodysplastic Syndrome several years ago and was stable for a couple of years. In June of 2019, I was hospitalized and got a bone marrow transplant from an unknown donor. My white cells were the cancerous ones. I was told that, after 6 months, the white cells should be fully growing. However, my "new" white cells never started growing on their own, and it's been 6 months. The doctors don't know why. I am curious if anyone else has/had a similar problem and what's being done about it.
Old Mon Jan 13, 2020, 11:15 AM

Sorry to hear that - sometimes it could be due to GVHD, infection, or an immune-mediated process. You can ask your doctor whether a "stem cell boost" is needed.
Old Tue Jan 14, 2020, 12:25 AM

have they been giving you any GCSF like neulasta or neupogen? I have yet to have fully normal levels of white cells consistently and I am 5 years post transplant and generally run under 3 total white count with little real impact to me.
MDS RCMD w/grade 2-3 fibrosis. Allo-MUD Feb 26, 2014. Relapsed August 2014. Free and clear of MDS since November 2014 after treatment with Vidaza and Rituxan. Experiencing autoimmune attack on CNS thought to be GVHD, some gut, skin and ocular cGVHD. Neuropathy over 80% of body.
Old Mon Jan 20, 2020, 04:03 AM

Hi Bilotin - sorry I can't advise on that one except to say that I've lived with white cells down below 2.0 for years. They're currently 1.0 which is a slight improvement. There's a lot you can do to prevent infections.

Hi Dan - I just read your signature block. How are you feeling? 80% Peripheral neuropathy sounds very uncomfortable.

I just started Azacitidine today. No problem so far except that the injection sites are inflamed. Will see how I am in a week!
Dx MDS RAEB 10% blasts + hypogammaglobulinemia, Sep 2011. Jan 2012 BMB - blasts down to 2% w/out treatment so BMT cancelled. Re-diagnosis RCMD. Watch and wait from Feb 2012. IVIg 5-weekly. New diagnosis Oct 2019 AML 23% blasts in marrow, 10% blasts in peripheral blood.