Home         Forums  

Go Back   Marrowforums > Treatments > Transplants
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Transplants Bone marrow and stem cell transplantation

Old Wed Mar 6, 2013, 07:54 AM

Question for people done with a BMT

Did you notice anything different with your fingernails? It seems like I am getting new fingernails coming out. Is hard to explain, just wondering if this is normal... Looks like the old ones stopped growing and new ones are pushing them out of the way..

On a better note my GVHD is gone, my cyclosporin has been drastically reduced to help my BK. I am 11 days from 100, now I need to schedule my drilling....
Old Wed Mar 6, 2013, 11:44 AM

huh, I don't remember that happening, but it might be a cyclosporin thing? I was only on it for 2 months (but very glad to be off it!!). Or maybe a side-effect of the radiation or particular chemo drug you had? Have you mentioned it to your transplant team?

I remember my fingernails grew really nice and long when I was ill, but that was more because I wasn't doing any of the daily tasks that usually cause them to chip and break.

Glad to hear the GVHD is gone! With any luck, it'll stay that way! Have you got any special Day 100 celebrations planned? For mine, we walked to a local restaurant during the daytime on a weekday and had lunch and a mocktail! First real time in public for me. I remember I wore my blue wig and it matched my drink!
36/F - 1984 SAA treated with ATG [complete remission until] Oct 08 - burst blood vessels in eyes and low platelets; Jan 09 - AA & hypo-MDS; July 09 - BMT (RIC MUD PSCT) July 10 - 10k for Anthony Nolan (1yr post BMT! 53:48) Sep 10 - Wedding! I've run 5 marathons now!! (PB 3:30!)
Old Wed Mar 6, 2013, 10:53 PM

Awesome to hear about the GVHD!

I noticed rings that began at the time of Chemo which worked their way all the way through the nail. It took about 5 months for them to disappear totally. I never lost any nails, but I wonder if they are related.

peace, Brian
Old Thu Mar 7, 2013, 12:10 AM

I lost my fingernails after having pneumonia. It sounds the same as what you're describing. The new nails pushing the old ones out. I figured it must have been a lack of oxygen that caused the old ones to die.

Chirley
Old Thu Mar 7, 2013, 08:47 PM

Hmm it could be what you describe as rings as they look like humps in the nail..
Old Thu Mar 7, 2013, 09:57 PM

Hi Cam,

The line you see in your finger nails represents the death of rapidly growing cells at the time of your pre transplant chemo. Just as your immune and blood making cells were wiped out, so too were other cells in your body, including those cells responsible for hair growth, hence your hair loss (I'm assuming).
Nicole, mom to Evan (20); diagnosed SAA November 2007, hATG mid-November 2007, no response after 6 months, unrelated 9/10 BMT June 2008, no GVH, health completely restored thanks to our beloved donor Bryan from Tennessee.

www.caringbridge.org/visit/evanmacneil
Old Fri Mar 8, 2013, 09:28 PM

Thank you for your responses... I appreciate it..