Home         Forums  

Go Back   Marrowforums > Community > Tell Your Story
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Tell Your Story Say hello or share your experiences

Old Sat Jul 28, 2007, 03:14 PM

Hi there everyone!

I was diagnosed with MDS in the fall of 2006 - right after my 80th birthday. I was given an Ananesp shot in Jan. of this year and was doing pretty good until I was hospitalized for food poisoning the first of this month. It really compromised my immune system so had a second shot about 10 days ago. Hope it works soon!! I also have RA with a smattering of old age mixed in there.

My husband died in 2000 with MDS also. It was hard to convince me that it wasn't 'catching'. Just a coincidence they say - like lightning hitting twice in the same spot. He was on Procrit - then had to go to transfusions - many of them.
Old Sat Jul 28, 2007, 04:22 PM
Administrator

Hi, Vernette.

Welcome to Marrowforums! We're glad you found us but sorry to hear that you've been laid low by food poisoning on top of your MDS. It is certainly a strange coincidence that your husband had the same disease, although I have heard of such things. Sometimes it's the fact that two people were exposed to the same environmental toxins over a long period of time. Do you have any idea what might have led to your MDS or to your husband's?

Aranesp is very effective for increasing red blood cell production for a lot of people. It is usually given weekly and can take a while to have any effect. Will you be getting more treatment? You might like to read the discussion about Aranesp going on in the MDS forum.

Regards,
Ruth Cuadra