Home         Forums  

Go Back   Marrowforums > Community > Tell Your Story
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Tell Your Story Say hello or share your experiences

Old Wed Jun 3, 2015, 08:28 AM

Smile Negative for cancer but reactive bone marrow biopsy result

Hello
Im new here so i hope i am posting in the right place.
Im looking for some help and advice really.
Im a 33 year old, symptons of night sweats, tired all the time, frequent infections. Bloods show really high vitamin B12, a little elevated alkaline phosphatase.
Saw a haemotologist, who did blood teats for all sorts. All negative, chest scan and scan for lymph nodes. Had a bone marrow biopsy.
Results today- she said they were negative for cancer but reactive. She said it could be infection or arthritis?? I dont have joint problems.

Can anyone help with the "reactive" term?

Thank you!
Old Wed Jun 3, 2015, 12:27 PM

I thinks it means that there is something reactive causing the problem. Things like a folate, iron, B12 issue, HIV infection, drug, toxin, alcohol, etc. These things cause a negative reaction to occur in the bone marrow. That's my understanding of it. Don't know how accurate it is but others may have more knowledge on this.

High B12 can be related to infections/diseases effecting the liver so that avenue should be explored if it hasn't already.

Also, a high B12 can indicate a genetic methylation mutation (MTHFR) which interferes with your body's ability to utilize B12 and folate. Therefore, the blood serum levels can be high.

Hopefully, in addition to B12, they looked at your Vitamin D, iron, folate, copper and zinc as well. All play a key role in immunity and blood production.
Marlene, wife to John DX w/SAA April 2002, Stable partial remission; Treated with High Dose Cytoxan, Johns Hopkins, June 2002. Final phlebotomy 11/2016. As of July 2021 HGB 12.0, WBC 4.70/ANC 3.85, Plts 110K.