Home         Forums  

Go Back   Marrowforums > Bone Marrow Failure Diseases > MDS
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

MDS Myelodysplastic syndromes

Old Wed Aug 1, 2018, 02:50 PM

Meds that can make MDS worse

Since I recently had a problem with Arimidex causing problems for my MDS, I am very curious if there are other meds that cause issues for MDS. I noticed on my info on I thinnk it was Flagyl that I am taking for a GI issue that a side effect could be neutopenia. Oh great. Has anyone seen a compilation that ties pancylopenia risk to various meds?

Thanks for any ideas.
Carol, age 75, diagnosed with MDS 9/2012, on wait and watch, recently had blood values drop probably due to Arimixdex, values coming back, but still serious fatigue, recent bone marrow text showed only 2% blasts
Old Wed Aug 1, 2018, 04:11 PM
Owner

Carol,

When you have a bone marrow failure disease and are taking medicine or drugs, it's worth paying attention to all those cautions about side effects!

The list of drugs that can cause cytopenias goes on and on, from non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs (NSAIDs) to anti-epileptic drugs and all sorts of chemo-related drugs.

A 2009 article named Drug-Induced Hematologic Syndromes lists many of the specific drugs that can produce cytopenias for myelodysplasia, aplastic anemia, sideroblastic anemia, pure red cell aplasia, immune thrombocytopenia, acute leukemia, and other related diseases.
Old Fri Aug 3, 2018, 01:23 AM

Flagyl

Carol,
I took flagyl last month. My GI was not working after tapering my immuno suppressant, so instead of increasing my immuno suppressant, my hematology gave me flagyl to stop my diarrhea. It worked so well, that about half a day later I was fine.

The side effects were so hard, that I stopped flagyl after 4 days. (It was supposed to be for 7 days). Nausea, upset stomach. Liver, kidneys went up, and my platelets have gone beneath the normal range.

The diarrhea was so frustrating that the flagyl was worth it, even for 4 days. I've stopped it now, but my GI still needs some other meds to help with the side effects caused by flagyl. I'm taking Takecab/Vonoprazan, Rebamipide and MiyaBM for my GI issues.

Hope your flagyl gets you into a better place for your GI.
Meri
Old Sat Aug 4, 2018, 05:53 PM

Have you investigated activated charcoal for diarrhoea?
Dx MDS RAEB 10% blasts + hypogammaglobulinemia, Sep 2011. Jan 2012 BMB - blasts down to 2% w/out treatment so BMT cancelled. Re-diagnosis RCMD. Watch and wait from Feb 2012. IVIg 5-weekly. New diagnosis Oct 2019 AML 23% blasts in marrow, 10% blasts in peripheral blood.